Slow power locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1992 k2500 has slow most time non functional locks the passanger will work if you press lock a couple times or hold it but driver had to be manually locked and unlocked. Any input to fix it is it just old actuators?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Actuators will be fine. The grease in the door latch mechanism has long since turned into a heavy wax and collected dust. The fix is to clean out the latches and lubricate them. This can be done many ways, but the easiest / cheapest fix is to hose the latch mechanism with a can of brake clean and spray it with a lubricant that disperses well.

When I work on trucks this old, I end up taking the door apart, and removing the latch to wash it out in solvents, and replace it if it's worn after a thorough cleaning. Lubricate and install.

YMMV, but most of the time this is the best way, as it's impossible to get the latch perfectly clean without removal. An old toothbrush or stiff bristle parts cleaning brush works best to assist cleaning in solvent.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
New latch mechanisms are available from the Stealer: aftermarket ones aren't as good from experience. I have had new aftermarket ones with holes that were tapped too large, and 2 out of 3 bolts would not stay tight. ( someone else bought these for me to put in their truck ) I ended up using Loctite to keep them in, with the one doing most of the work.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
More likely the grease on the plastic slider clips on the inner door skin. The actuator rod slides through the clip, the old grease drags it down making it difficult to operate. I've had them get so bad you could about break the key off in the tumbler. A little cleaning with brake parts cleaner on a paper towel, then lightly grease with some white lithium, working like a champ again.

Richard

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Well I wish I would have ask this question before I spent $60 on a new door lock actuator. I haven't changed it yet, guess I can return it if I don't need it.