Single Din Stereo With a Foldout Touchscreen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that thing you posted a link to is straight garbage

It was only an example . As one of the above posts pointed out there are name brand touch screen units available through Amazon and other vendors for fairly reasonable prices. Thank you for your kind response. I don't think any of us would want to install "garbage".

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was only an example . As one of the above posts pointed out there are name brand touch screen units available through Amazon and other vendors for fairly reasonable prices. Thank you for your kind response. I don't think any of us would want to install "garbage".
Well, since you put it that way....

I don't see why people.charge so much for cars?
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-r8/trims-and-specs

You can get one much cheaper here..
https://www.nissanusa.com/versa/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, since you put it that way....

I don't see why people.charge so much for cars?
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-r8/trims-and-specs

You can get one much cheaper here..
https://www.nissanusa.com/versa/
I am not quite sure how such a comparison relates to the topic at hand. I had pointed out that Crutchfield appears to think their touch screen models are made of gold and listed a cheap version off ebay for comparison. Someone else posted the Amazon link which brought in the far more desirable name brand units at a much better price than Crutchfield. Since the discussion is about radios used to "modernize" a GMT-400 we can keep the thread useful if we discuss unrelated auto prices somewhere else please. If you are planning to put a new head unit in your GMT-400 I hope that this thread will be useful to you. I really do hope that others who have experience with the folding screen units will tell us of their experience.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not quite sure how such a comparison relates to the topic at hand. I had pointed out that Crutchfield appears to think their touch screen models are made of gold and listed a cheap version off ebay for comparison. Someone else posted the Amazon link which brought in the far more desirable name brand units at a much better price than Crutchfield. Since the discussion is about radios used to "modernize" a GMT-400 we can keep the thread useful if we discuss unrelated auto prices somewhere else please. If you are planning to put a new head unit in your GMT-400 I hope that this thread will be useful to you. I really do hope that others who have experience with the folding screen units will tell us of their experience.
Someone posted a quality unit, you posted as pos cheap foldout. So I made the comparison of posting a nice car vs a POS car. You can not compare that junk to a quality radio, just like you can't compare a Kia to a Cadillac.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If you want garbage, buy it, but don't get pissed when you find out it's garbage and have to buy quality and realize you threw away a couple hundred dollars. If you want something nice in a folder out you're gonna be around $500 or better. Crutchfield is selling that radio for retail value. Bb sells it for the same, so do local reputable retailers. Asking retail for something doesn't mean your pricing is high, just means you're asking what it costs. Buying a new unit from a non authorized reseller will get you no warranty. Some people appreciate warranty when they drop $600. Others think you can get equal value for $140. Me trying to point out your "example" is garbage was to help anyone who doesn't know any better to keep them from making a mistake on what you posted as a potential unit to buy.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone posted a quality unit, you posted as pos cheap foldout. So I made the comparison of posting a nice car vs a POS car. You can not compare that junk to a quality radio, just like you can't compare a Kia to a Cadillac.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If you want garbage, buy it, but don't get pissed when you find out it's garbage and have to buy quality and realize you threw away a couple hundred dollars. If you want something nice in a folder out you're gonna be around $500 or better. Crutchfield is selling that radio for retail value. Bb sells it for the same, so do local reputable retailers. Asking retail for something doesn't mean your pricing is high, just means you're asking what it costs. Buying a new unit from a non authorized reseller will get you no warranty. Some people appreciate warranty when they drop $600. Others think you can get equal value for $140. Me trying to point out your "example" is garbage was to help anyone who doesn't know any better to keep them from making a mistake on what you posted as a potential unit to buy.

I begin to get it now. I think I detect an axe to grind .. you make no mention of the far better prices on Amazon and you do not explain how you came by the knowledge that the Ebay example is a piece of crap (even though I agree that it easily could be ). "Unauthorized" dealers frequently help keep prices down and unfortunately the "high end" units are frequently the same as the Ebay units with the label left off. At least we got the thread back to radios and maybe we can leave it at that.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I begin to get it now. I think I detect an axe to grind .. you make no mention of the far better prices on Amazon and you do not explain how you came by the knowledge that the Ebay example is a piece of crap (even though I agree that it easily could be ). "Unauthorized" dealers frequently help keep prices down and unfortunately the "high end" units are frequently the same as the Ebay units with the label left off. At least we got the thread back to radios and maybe we can leave it at that.
first and foremost I dont feel the need to tell you about my 10 years professional experience in car audio. Hell that doesnt mean much, I know alot of professionals who dont know their ass from a hole in the wall. My posts arent attacking you so why are you being so defensive and butthurt about them. I said you posted some garbage, which you did. Common friggin sense will tell you that piece of trash belongs in a dumpster, but by all means, buy 3 of them and tell me how awesome they are as i laugh my ass off about you wasting your money. Im tired of trying to explain myself to you, you obviously dont KNOW the difference in quality products vs knockoff junk. Good luck with your purchases.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you ... and that explains why you went to so much trouble to troll the thread. I will defer to your obvious expertise, not to mention good manners, and if I change out my brand name Kenwood I will order a name brand unit. Thank you ever so much for sharing your knowledge with us.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you ... and that explains why you went to so much trouble to troll the thread. I will defer to your obvious expertise, not to mention good manners, and if I change out my brand name Kenwood I will order a name brand unit. Thank you ever so much for sharing your knowledge with us.
You are very welcome sir, if you need any more assistance just let me know.

BONEZ73

Reaction score

Cdawg

Reaction score
Another option is installing a double DIN touchscreen like I did. I have no problems with seeing the radio and it doesn't block my vents air flow.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
I appreciate you input. I've explored that option, but, it requires cutting into the dash. I have a very clean, unmolested, all original truck, and have a self imposed rule that all modifications must be able to be 100% reversible.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk