Aftermarket double din radio is the stock 1988-93 digital stereo location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamvp123

Reaction score
I'm looking to put a double din aftermarket stereo in the factory digital radio location on the main dashboard where the old one sits (not the single din cassette player that sits in the center). After doing plenty of research all I could find is the dash and harness kit for the single din in the center and even some double din kits for the same location. But I would prefer to put one in the factory location (pictures with the example below) in the main dashboard like folks do in their 94 and newer trucks. Is there anyone that makes any kits for that or is it %100 custom that you need to fabricate yourself? You would think it would be possible with the cubbie space included on the single din kit, that there's a kit for fitting a similar if not close to the size of a double din radio in that location. I want to know what my options are with this or if I should go with the double din kit for the center dash location. Thanks for any/all help and I hope to hear back from you guys.

(Reference and Example pics below)

Attachments

• 93 Radio.jpeg
    93 Radio.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 93 Interior.jpeg
    93 Interior.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 126

Lowstature

Reaction score
I have never seen this one before but now the gears are turning. There may be a bit more potential for this dash than I originally was thinking.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Wildblue19 .. work your magic please sir
Thanks for the props man, appreciate it.

I did in fact make a head unit that fits into the factory location, but it's far from off the shelf parts. Mine is a raspberry pi based OS that connects to my phone and uses Android auto. It uses a 5" touch screen connected to the pi and is mated to the dash replacement panel I designed at reversion, and modified in this case to mount my screen.

The fact of the matter is that no double din (7"x4") setup will fit in the OE location; there's simply not enough room. Even in my case, the space for the Pi and other peripherals used takes up most of the space available behind the dash - so much so that I have to use the center console head unit as the amp to power my speakers (connected to the pi via 3.5mm cable).

I have also designed a panel that replaces both the OE radio and HVAC control panels, but even still the main issue is the width of the off-the-shelf units.

I considered making a kit and selling the raspberry pi head units, but truthfully there are still too many issues with the system for me to feel good about selling it to you guys. Perhaps in the future I'll find time to get the system ironed out, but for now it's remaining as just a proof of concept. Attached a current pic of the current setup where you can see both the screen and head unit.

Drop questions below, thanks!

Attachments

• 20220623_205620.jpg
    20220623_205620.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 110

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is how much room there is for a double din there.. THERE IS NONE. But id definitely be interested if you could find the maker of that dash trim bezel to fit and the climate control relocation

Attachments

• 1656124610980.jpeg
    1656124610980.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 109

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the props man, appreciate it.

I did in fact make a head unit that fits into the factory location, but it's far from off the shelf parts. Mine is a raspberry pi based OS that connects to my phone and uses Android auto. It uses a 5" touch screen connected to the pi and is mated to the dash replacement panel I designed at reversion, and modified in this case to mount my screen.

The fact of the matter is that no double din (7"x4") setup will fit in the OE location; there's simply not enough room. Even in my case, the space for the Pi and other peripherals used takes up most of the space available behind the dash - so much so that I have to use the center console head unit as the amp to power my speakers (connected to the pi via 3.5mm cable).

I have also designed a panel that replaces both the OE radio and HVAC control panels, but even still the main issue is the width of the off-the-shelf units.

I considered making a kit and selling the raspberry pi head units, but truthfully there are still too many issues with the system for me to feel good about selling it to you guys. Perhaps in the future I'll find time to get the system ironed out, but for now it's remaining as just a proof of concept. Attached a current pic of the current setup where you can see both the screen and head unit.

Drop questions below, thanks!
Have you done anymore with this? I've been considering RPi solutions or just going with a full custom dash but I prefer the idea using the space that's already there, possibly with a vertical mounted screen.

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I LIKE THAT!! looks a lot nicer than the other way of doing it...All that major surgery cutting up the dash