Aftermarket double din radio is the stock 1988-93 digital stereo location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Unless you really need the flat/touch screen display, I went with the Retrosound Santa Cruz head unit. I went with the more expensive model that’s $400. It has Bluetooth phone and music, mic output and mic included for hands free, XM satellite capability, separate subwoofer output and control, USB outputs and can purchase a USB cable for cigarette lighter install and other features. I’d certainly recommend it.

You must be registered for see images attach

This was right after installing. I played with the color in the display afterward and it matches the AC display perfectly

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you need CD's to play, can look into the marine, Side by Side style of head units. The circle style ones, then get a blank dash plate and stick it in.

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have had this Pi running daily for almost 2 years now and it has been surprisingly reliable. The only thing I cannot figure out is the voice control for android auto. If I were to do it again, I would save my money and time and get a marine unit to be installed in a blank panel...but at least I have the satisfaction of my truck is probably the only one in the world with a DIY fully featured touch screen in the factory radio location

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have had this Pi running daily for almost 2 years now and it has been surprisingly reliable. The only thing I cannot figure out is the voice control for android auto. If I were to do it again, I would save my money and time and get a marine unit to be installed in a blank panel...but at least I have the satisfaction of my truck is probably the only one in the world with a DIY fully featured touch screen in the factory radio location
Man that's slick!
Wish I had the brain power to pull that off.
Did you ever do a build thread on it? I think I remember something you wrote up.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
You could feasibly fit a low profile double din unit (Alpine iLX-W650 or iLX-W670, just under 2.5" deep) in there...but it would be tight and I'd wager you's have to relocate the HVAC controls above the radio to make it work. That could possibly raise another issue/whole set of problems.

Its been a while since I've been in that style dash, but there's an 88 sitting outside that I might be able to look at later this evening to get a better idea if it'd work.

EDIT: Just looked at a video...then checked the truck outside. I definitely think it could be done, but it might take a bit of trial and error to create a proper bracket. The depth isn't the big issue, as much as the width is. The stock unit measures 6.25" x 3.5" roughly. The overall opening is about 6.675". A double din is 'officially' 7" x 4". The HVAC controls could move down a small amount, but the bezel would definitely need a minor rework to fit the width. Definitely would require some 3d printing work, modeling, and a bit of cutting and splicing the bezel to make things fit. Then it's need to be retextured and finished.

Maybe consider using a marine radio? They're smaller (closer to 6.2 x 3") and might fit with a simple face plate adapter. Most are designed to be remote mounted as well.
  • Kicker KMC5, Kicker 46KMC4
  • JL Audio MediaMaster 50 [Unit: 4.65 in. x 3.74 in. x 3.15 in. (118 mm x 95 mm x 80 mm) Mounting Hole: 3.74in.x3.12in.(95mmx80mm)]
  • Clarion CMM-20 [front panel dimensions: 5.95in.x3.90in.x3.15in.(151 mmx99mmx80mm) | cutout dimensions: 3.68in.x3.09in.(94mmx79mm)]
  • Clarion CMM-30 [front panel dimensions: 5.95in.x3.90in.x2.95in.(151 mmx99mmx75mm) | cutout dimensions: 3.68in.x3.09in.(94mmx79mm)]

Last edited:

torhne

Reaction score
Have you done anymore with this? I've been considering RPi solutions or just going with a full custom dash but I prefer the idea using the space that's already there, possibly with a vertical mounted screen.
I am looking into a RPI and an lcd in the cubby hole area but I suck at 3d design lol...