Show off your valve covers and engine bays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that :anitoof: - it was my turn to be jealous when you did the Bow Tie.
Yea, that bow tie gets a lot of attention, and even pulls a trophy every now and then.

Attachments

• 20211026_122322.jpg
    20211026_122322.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's mine. The only thing I bought polished, was the valve covers. I polished everything else myself. The electric fans are from a 2004 Cadillac DeVille. The brackets to hold the fans are stainless, and I built those myself.
I’m just curious. What did you do to take off the ugly box on the intake that has Vortec on it? Did you close off the opening ?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m just curious. What did you do to take off the ugly box on the intake that has Vortec on it? Did you close off the opening ?
Yes, I plugged it up with a Kodiak s-n-u-f-f can bottom. A skoal can is a little to small, and is made of cardboard. At the time, I was working offshore with a bunch of s-n-u-f-f dipping red necks. Grate bunch of guys. The hole must be plugged so that air can not get in. Also if you look closely, you will notice that the vent pipe coming from the valve cover, is gone. I removed it, and took a heat gun, heated up the plastic, and molded it to close up the hole. The polished aluminum valve covers do not vent the same way. This is a vent for the PCV valve on the opposite valve cover. It is where the PCV draws air into the crank case from. If you click on this pic, you can see that there is no vent, but it is there behind the oil dip stick ( that I had move for the headers) and on the valve cover. It is a round cap that goes into the hole on the passengers valve cover, just under the low pressure AC switch cycling valve on the AC dryer bottle.

Attachments

• 20210130_112129.jpg
    20210130_112129.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I plugged it up with a Kodiak s-n-u-f-f can bottom. A skoal can is a little to small, and is made of cardboard. At the time, I was working offshore with a bunch of s-n-u-f-f dipping red necks. Grate bunch of guys. The hole must be plugged so that air can not get in. Also if you look closely, you will notice that the vent pipe coming from the valve cover, is gone. I removed it, and took a heat gun, heated up the plastic, and molded it to close up the hole. The polished aluminum valve covers do not vent the same way. This is a vent for the PCV valve on the opposite valve cover. It is where the PCV draws air into the crank case from. If you click on this pic, you can see that there is no vent, but it is there behind the oil dip stick ( that I had move for the headers) and on the valve cover. It is a round cap that goes into the hole on the passengers valve cover, just under the low pressure AC switch cycling valve on the AC dryer bottle.
What is the purpose of the little box to begin with?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the little box to begin with?
It's a resonator box. It's to muffle the suction sound that the throttle body makes at wide open throttle. By removing the box, it gives a straighter line of flow for the air going into the throttle body. Does it make a performance difference? Well that's debatable. Removing it does open up the engine bay though. I have toughy many times about making an aluminum hat for the throttle body and replacing the plastic one, but aluminum gets hot, and plastic doesn't, or not as hot anyway. I have also though about cutting, heating and blending in the connector where the vortec box hooks up. I would need to get a donor hat, and play with that first.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is also missing. The reason being that when the LPG(propane) system was installed a pop-off valve was installed in its place as a mitigation against inlet backfires.
Any fears I had about its absence were allayed on this forum when I was told it was only there to reduce induction noise. Having never had it, or been in a truck with one fitted - I cannot comment on the noise aspect as nothing to reference mine to. Looking at the photos, I'm not missing its bulk in the engine bay though!

Last edited: