Should i try ethonal free gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if it would hurt anyting to try ethonal free gas in my 99 obs burb with a 5.7 vortec. It has 188k and found out that a local gas station has it instead of the 10% ethonal blend. Is there a big difference or will i notice anything like better mpgs? Not that mpgs matter in a burb lol.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I don't think it will be much different, but I thought ethanol burns a little faster than ethanol-free gas, but I could be wrong. I have always run 87 octane unleaded ethanol-free gas, don't want that ethanol crap in my truck.

DirtyRich

Reaction score
I use it in my in all my trucks it's a noticble difference. I believe when these trucks were being produced ethanol was not so widespread and as far as I'm concerned these trucks don't care for the ethanol either lol.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use it in my in all my trucks it's a noticble difference. I believe when these trucks were being produced ethanol was not so widespread and as far as I'm concerned these trucks don't care for the ethanol either lol.
Okay thats what i was kinda figuring, i figured it wouldnt hurt to give it a try. Do you think i should let it go completely empty or do you think it would hurt to mix it?

DirtyRich

Reaction score
Won't hurt to mix it...I recommend really paying attention to how it performs and sounds... run it empty then try atleast 5 or 10 gallons. I think you'll notice a difference.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't hurt to mix it...I recommend really paying attention to how it performs and sounds... run it empty then try atleast 5 or 10 gallons. I think you'll notice a difference.
Thats what i will do.. 24 more gallons and i will be empty lol

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I've driven nearly nothing but vehicles that were made before 10% ethanol gas was on the scene, and I honestly have never noticed a single difference.

I do know people that have had trouble with carburetors (cars, machinery, yard tools) that did seem to have some real trouble with the ethanol. I recently sold a 25 year old riding lawnmower that we bought brand new, and I suspect the carb on it needed cleaning a few times more than it would have with non-eth gas.

But on cars, I've never had a problem. Back when the changeover was occurring, I'd intentionally swap between the two and see if I noticed a difference. This was on a 2000 Cavalier and a 2003 Deville DHS. Neither of the performed any differently to my finely tuned butt dyno.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wondering if it would hurt anyting to try ethonal free gas in my 99 obs burb with a 5.7 vortec. It has 188k and found out that a local gas station has it instead of the 10% ethonal blend. Is there a big difference or will i notice anything like better mpgs? Not that mpgs matter in a burb lol.

Our GMT-400's are not multi-fuel so they don't get any benefit from Ethanol polluted fuel. You'll probably find your truck runs better on Ethanol free.
Ethanol really doesn't provide any benefit for anyone but corn farmers. It's less energy dense, gives lower MPG, and less horsepower, and if your vehicle can't compensate for the change in air/fuel ratio it requires, it'll run worse too. 10% is probably the outside limit for a Vortec. if you have to run it, at least try and find a 5% mid grade blend.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our GMT-400's are not multi-fuel so they don't get any benefit from Ethanol polluted fuel. You'll probably find your truck runs better on Ethanol free.
Ethanol really doesn't provide any benefit for anyone but corn farmers. It's less energy dense, gives lower MPG, and less horsepower, and if your vehicle can't compensate for the change in air/fuel ratio it requires, it'll run worse too. 10% is probably the outside limit for a Vortec. if you have to run it, at least try and find a 5% mid grade blend.
So am i doing more harm by running 91 octane thats a 10%corn blend than running the lower grade 5% blend?i was told regular 87 or 85 octane is for mowers and old cars that i should only run 91 or 93 octane especally in a v8 engine. Since its a 42 gal tank and we travle quite often it rarley gets the same octane all the time except in town. And even then when prices go up i switch to the lower priced gas to keep costs about the same. Im getting to the end of this tank just have to make it to thurs then i can throw 10 in till friday and ill fill it up with the ethnol free and do new plugs and wires.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk