Shorty Headers Worth the Money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a Vortec truck it would help a lot to toss the 1 7/8" head pipes. The only thing that comes to mind is the 8600+ GVW pipes as they were about 2.5" at the manifold and 3" after that.

Flowmaster has a better head pipe with high flow cats. I put shorty headers, flowmaster head pipe with high flow cats, flowmaster dual in / out 22” muffler.

My 5.7 with over 200k and I noticed the increase by adding shorty headers along with the larger head pipes and high flow cats.

Blackbear tune made a noticeable difference as well.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Currently tossing around the idea of putting shorty headers on my truck. No preference on brand yet, just had a real good look at the exhaust manifolds while I was working on the truck and can't help but think they're extremely restrictive.

I've been doing some surface level research and it seems like people say it's worth it, others say it's a waste of time and to go with LTs. Unfortunately being in California I cannot go with LTs. I don't have any expectations on performance gain but if it helps make that 350 Vortec breathe easier, then it'd be worth it in my book. If it's negligible then I'll just save myself the hassle. What do you guys think, are shorty headers worth it?

I vote shorty headers. Engine masters did a comparison and I believe shorty headers had an advantage.

Don’t buy flowtech, I thought they made the summit brand as well. Mine had a bad weld at the egr port which cost me extra to have fixed. I bought flowtech because of price and they had the thickest flange.

I had a set of pacesetters which wore out where all the pipes connect to the flange. They lasted over 10 years.

Here’s the flowmaster head pipe with high flow cats and mandrel bends.

Flowmaster 2010023 Direct Fit 2" Inlet/Outlet Catalytic Converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UODIII/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ESjIEb90X76AH

I’ve had luck with the locking header bolts by pro form, they stay tight on my vortec but occasionally need tightened on my 79 k10.

I’ve heard longtubes on carburetor engines to help complete combustion and shortys on fuel injected.

My 79 has longtubes and I messed one up off roading because they hang lower than shortys.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I vote shorty headers. Engine masters did a comparison and I believe shorty headers had an advantage.

Don’t buy flowtech, I thought they made the summit brand as well. Mine had a bad weld at the egr port which cost me extra to have fixed. I bought flowtech because of price and they had the thickest flange.

I had a set of pacesetters which wore out where all the pipes connect to the flange. They lasted over 10 years.

Here’s the flowmaster head pipe with high flow cats and mandrel bends.

Flowmaster 2010023 Direct Fit 2" Inlet/Outlet Catalytic Converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UODIII/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ESjIEb90X76AH

I’ve had luck with the locking header bolts by pro form, they stay tight on my vortec but occasionally need tightened on my 79 k10.

I’ve heard longtubes on carburetor engines to help complete combustion and shortys on fuel injected.

My 79 has longtubes and I messed one up off roading because they hang lower than shortys.
Thanks for the advice! Most likely going to pull the trigger on some shortys once summer rolls around. Just blew a good chunk of cash on a rear disc kit haha. Also, I just finished a tune-up so I'd hate to do all that work just to undo it. Will hopefully update this thread in the summertime.

mrstang01

Reaction score
I put Shorty headers (cheap set out of Summit) when I replaced my engine. On a Vortec, it's not worth it, no performance gains noticed, and I've had problems with the exhaust leaking at the right header.