Shorty Headers Worth the Money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Jeez, they get you guys for visual too in AZ? I always thought it was a CA and NY thing. Well, either ways, it looks good!

Oh interesting! The stock exhaust manifold is 1 7/8"? I assumed they were like 1 1/4" or smaller just by looking at them LOL. Knowing that, I'm guessing it wouldn't really make sense putting JBA shortys on the truck since their tube size is 1 1/2"?

Yeah, the single pipe exiting the entire manifold is 1 7/8". No idea what size the runners are on a stock manifold.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, they get you guys for visual too in AZ?
Well, I should clarify that, it's controlled by the counties, I live in Maricopa county which includes Phoenix and surrounding areas. We are kind of in a valley (similar to the San Joaquin valley in CA) so we have emissions controls. Now guys Like @bobby v who lives in Lake Havasu city don't have to worry about it - NOT FAIR, LOL!!!

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Yeah, the single pipe exiting the entire manifold is 1 7/8". No idea what size the runners are on a stock manifold.
Ohhh the collector diameter is only 1 7/8"? Dang, I bet the runners are closer to the 1" - 1 1/4" then. Like I told @df2x4 , definitely the next big mod on my list after I get these rear discs done. I bet the 350 will appreciate it!

Well, I should clarify that, it's controlled by the counties, I live in Maricopa county which includes Phoenix and surrounding areas. We are kind of in a valley (similar to the San Joaquin valley in CA) so we have emissions controls. Now guys Like @bobby v who lives in Lake Havasu city don't have to worry about it - NOT FAIR, LOL!!!
Oh that makes sense. Never knew certain AZ counties were affected by SMOG. Just like California I suppose, certain counties over here are SMOG exempt, not fair indeed haha. How about we just get rid of the stupid thing altogether? :Big Laugh:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a Vortec truck it would help a lot to toss the 1 7/8" head pipes. The only thing that comes to mind is the 8600+ GVW pipes as they were about 2.5" at the manifold and 3" after that.
They are 2.75" from what I remember. Express van was 3" though.

I have no way of knowing if the Mexico L31 manifolds are different but I have a friend that bought a rollover 05 GMT800 5.7 donor truck and swapped the L31 5.7 into his 03 4.3 truck about 10 years ago. The newer 4.3s use the free flowing LS style cats and Y-pipe. He had to use the 4.3 one because Mexican market trucks did not have cats or rear 02 sensors. His mexico built GMT800 5.7 Vortec bolted right to the 4.3 Y-pipe and cats. Truck made decent power with a tuned stock 5.7 with a cold air intake and magnaflow muffler. The LS Y-pipe fit a 2wd GMT400 when my friend swapped a 6.0L into his 97 and another friend used the LS Y-pipe on a 94 6.0L 2 door 4x4 Yukon.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a Vortec truck it would help a lot to toss the 1 7/8" head pipes. The only thing that comes to mind is the 8600+ GVW pipes as they were about 2.5" at the manifold and 3" after that.

I would love to put a new 7.4 factory style exhaust system on my 5.7 K1500’s, but because one of the CATs are downstream of the flange, one has to buy the Y pipe with one CAT, and also buy the mid pipe with the other CAT. It’s more than twice as expensive as the 5.7 exhaust.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would love to put a new 7.4 factory style exhaust system on my 5.7 K1500’s, but because one of the CATs are downstream of the flange, one has to buy the Y pipe with one CAT, and also buy the mid pipe with the other CAT. It’s more than twice as expensive as the 5.7 exhaust.

Unless you get it used off another truck.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

SSHHHH, don't even go there Pete, I love it, Gods Country :cool: BTW check your damn email !!!!!!!!!
Mine has the Edelbrock shorties and they even have a carb sticker, does it make them OK ??? Hell if I know. They have to be better than the stock manifolds but not as good as LT of course.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Bobby are the Goodwrench valve covers for a MarkIV? Could a guy put a breather in place of the oil fill cap by chance?

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SSHHHH, don't even go there Pete, I love it, Gods Country :cool: BTW check your damn email !!!!!!!!!
Mine has the Edelbrock shorties and they even have a carb sticker, does it make them OK ??? Hell if I know. They have to be better than the stock manifolds but not as good as LT of course.

Wow, your under the hood looks immaculate! :)