Shorty Headers Worth the Money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Currently tossing around the idea of putting shorty headers on my truck. No preference on brand yet, just had a real good look at the exhaust manifolds while I was working on the truck and can't help but think they're extremely restrictive.

I've been doing some surface level research and it seems like people say it's worth it, others say it's a waste of time and to go with LTs. Unfortunately being in California I cannot go with LTs. I don't have any expectations on performance gain but if it helps make that 350 Vortec breathe easier, then it'd be worth it in my book. If it's negligible then I'll just save myself the hassle. What do you guys think, are shorty headers worth it?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Suburban with the 5.7 is still running factory manifolds but my red C1500 with the 4.3 has shorty headers and they seemed to make a difference. They definitely changed the sound of the exhaust.

If you're going to do it, personally I would spend the money and go with the JBA or Gibson stainless ones. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. I went with the cheapest option I could find for my 4.3 which was Pacesetter painted shortys, and IMO they're not great. My mechanic had to alter one of the flanges to get them to bolt on and they blew out a gasket once. Not sure if that was a fault of the headers or the copper gaskets I was using at the time. Regardless, they're rusty and ugly now. Wish I would've bought stainless.

Curt

Reaction score
My Suburban with the 5.7 is still running factory manifolds but my red C1500 with the 4.3 has shorty headers and they seemed to make a difference. They definitely changed the sound of the exhaust.

If you're going to do it, personally I would spend the money and go with the JBA or Gibson stainless ones. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. I went with the cheapest option I could find for my 4.3 which was Pacesetter painted shortys, and IMO they're not great. My mechanic had to alter one of the flanges to get them to bolt on and they blew out a gasket once. Not sure if that was a fault of the headers or the copper gaskets I was using at the time. Regardless, they're rusty and ugly now. Wish I would've bought stainless.
Yikes, sounds like I'll be sure to steer clear of those pacesetters. I'm definitely leaning towards the JBA option, they seem like an nice option. Did you notice any improvements with MPGs and/or power on your C1500? Was expecting a slight change in exhaust note, but I'm hoping it's not too drastic either. It just boggles my mind how tiny the exhaust manifolds are on these trucks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yikes, sounds like I'll be sure to steer clear of those pacesetters. I'm definitely leaning towards the JBA option, they seem like an nice option. Did you notice any improvements with MPGs and/or power on your C1500? Was expecting a slight change in exhaust note, but I'm hoping it's not too drastic either. It just boggles my mind how tiny the exhaust manifolds are on these trucks.

MPG no, power yes. Nothing significant but they seemed to improve my low end torque a little.

The change in exhaust sound isn't major either. It's a little bit louder in the cab but not a whole lot. At idle it almost seems like you can hear the cylinders firing, kind of a sewing machine type noise.

Curt

Reaction score
MPG no, power yes. Nothing significant but they seemed to improve my low end torque a little.

The change in exhaust sound isn't major either. It's a little bit louder in the cab but not a whole lot. At idle it almost seems like you can hear the cylinders firing, kind of a sewing machine type noise.
Definitely familiar with the sewing machine type noise associated with headers, used to daily my bro's camaro with BBK LTs on it for a little while.

Currently have a rear disc brake kit on the way so if I end up with more money to toss at the truck, shortys are next on the list. Thanks for the help df2x4, if it doesn't change anything too major I most likely will hold off for now. Just saw those manifolds and couldn't stop thinking about shorty headers haha.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome! And yeah it's not a huge difference IMO. I plan on getting some stainless shortys for my Suburban one of these days but I'm waiting until one of the cats goes or something rusts apart. :lol:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the Summit Racing (made by Pacesetter) G9015 shorty headers because I have the A.I.R. pump (it's a CA truck) and needed the CARB EO since they do a visual and rolling dyno here in AZ too. They bolted up fine to my 350. My paint burned off but they're not rusting here in the desert, ha ha.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On a Vortec truck it would help a lot to toss the 1 7/8" head pipes. The only thing that comes to mind is the 8600+ GVW pipes as they were about 2.5" at the manifold and 3" after that.

Curt

Reaction score
I got the Summit Racing (made by Pacesetter) G9015 shorty headers because I have the A.I.R. pump (it's a CA truck) and needed the CARB EO since they do a visual and rolling dyno here in AZ too. They bolted up fine to my 350. My paint burned off but they're not rusting here in the desert, ha ha.

You must be registered for see images attach
Jeez, they get you guys for visual too in AZ? I always thought it was a CA and NY thing. Well, either ways, it looks good!

On a Vortec truck it would help a lot to toss the 1 7/8" head pipes. The only thing that comes to mind is the 8600+ GVW pipes as they were about 2.5" at the manifold and 3" after that.
Oh interesting! The stock exhaust manifold is 1 7/8"? I assumed they were like 1 1/4" or smaller just by looking at them LOL. Knowing that, I'm guessing it wouldn't really make sense putting JBA shortys on the truck since their tube size is 1 1/2"?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I actually did a combination of this....my ypipe was rotten, so I had picked up one at the bone yard. The manifolds ended up being rotten too at the flange so I opted for the shorty headers (cheaper) than the manifold replacements. Mind you it was a 95 so a tbi truck vs a vortec but it still made a world of difference.

A little different truck, this one a nicely put together tbi with essentially vortec heads, shorty headers
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/mufflers-choices-choices.45265/#post-1051490