Shifter Cable gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green1998

Reaction score
Hi Rhino, I came across your post while looking for a remedy to a problem. I have a 98 GMC sierra C1500 5.7L 4L60E transmission.
Where the shifter cable connects to the shifter arm on the transmission the end of the cable doesn’t stay in place on the ball of the transmission shifter arm. It looks like place
(Hole) into which the ball fits at the end of the cable has worn out or just cracked due to being brittle. In the post above it seems you were referring to a fix you have come up with to remedy this problem rather than replacing the cable. I could replace the cable but it sounds like you
have devised a method that’s easier, cheaper as well as reliable. I’d love it if you would share that with me. Thanks, John.
I know this is an old thread but I thought I’d take a chance. Anyone else have any proven reliable fixes for this?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Rhino, I came across your post while looking for a remedy to a problem. I have a 98 GMC sierra C1500 5.7L 4L60E transmission.
Where the shifter cable connects to the shifter arm on the transmission the end of the cable doesn’t stay in place on the ball of the transmission shifter arm. It looks like place
(Hole) into which the ball fits at the end of the cable has worn out or just cracked due to being brittle. In the post above it seems you were referring to a fix you have come up with to remedy this problem rather than replacing the cable. I could replace the cable but it sounds like you
have devised a method that’s easier, cheaper as well as reliable. I’d love it if you would share that with me. Thanks, John.
Problem is @rhino hasnt been here since 2017.
And O.P. only lasted a couple months a decade ago.

Perhaps a new thread, with new a description if YOUR concerns would garner new solutions, instead of rehashing a dead 10 year old one...

Green1998

Reaction score
Problem is @rhino hasnt been here since 2017.
And O.P. only lasted a couple months a decade ago.

Perhaps a new thread, with new a description if YOUR concerns would garner new solutions, instead of rehashing a dead 10 year old one...
Thanks, I’ll do that next time.

The fix I came up with was to grind off the weld from the back of the shift arm and knock out the stud that has the little ball on it to which the shifter cable usually hooks on to. On the back of the shift arm I welded a nut. Then I ran a bolt through the shift cable with a washer on either side of the shift cable, ran it through the shift arm into the welded nut and where the threads of the bolt went past the nut I doubled up another nut on there to hold it in place. Seems to be working fine.
I’ll keep an eye on it and try to note if any slack develops. If so I’ll throw a tack weld on the bolt to keep from loosening up.
This is a great forum,
Always look forward to the new information and camaraderie.