Shift from park issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My wife's 97 tahoe started acting up today. She stopped to get gas on her way to work and when she got in after getting gas noticed the park indicator light was still lit. The Tahoe started fine but did not want to shift from park. By this I mean you can't move the shifter it feels like the shifter is locked still. After messing with it she was able to get it to go into drive and get to work. It was fine for her drive home but did it to me when I got home from work to look at it. I'm confused as to what could cause it to not want to shift from park that would also cause the light to stay on with the key turned off

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the indicator light, but it sounds like the shift interlock isn't working correctly. I'm guessing you can put the key to accessory and the shifter works, but as soon as you switch the key to on it doesn't?

Check to see if your brake lights are working.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your interlock is ok, your cable sounds like its probably been arcing out as a auxillary ground since the other grounds were not good enough OR its wearing or binding mine was under the carpet and the sheath rubbed through and the cable no longer could slide inside it well

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Check the park/neutral switch on the transmission and make sure it isn't loose. The PRNDL switch, neutral safety switch, whatever. In park, the switch is in the circuit path with switch in the brake switch to disengage the Brake/Transmission shift interlock solenoid BTSI. I think you can loosen the PRNDL switch housing bolts and turn it slightly if needed.

Reaction score
I don't know about the indicator light, but it sounds like the shift interlock isn't working correctly. I'm guessing you can put the key to accessory and the shifter works, but as soon as you switch the key to on it doesn't?

Check to see if your brake lights are working.
I checked the brake lights and they work properly. I haven't tried moving the key to accessory and trying to shift I'll try that in a minute

Reaction score
if your interlock is ok, your cable sounds like its probably been arcing out as a auxillary ground since the other grounds were not good enough OR its wearing or binding mine was under the carpet and the sheath rubbed through and the cable no longer could slide inside it well
I may have to check that. Everything under the vehicle looks good haven't torn into the column or picked up carpet to check that yet

Reaction score
So I tried it in accessory and it acts the same way. But if I put the key half way between off and on I can shift normally. Anyone know what would cause that? Neutral safety switch?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I tried it in accessory and it acts the same way. But if I put the key half way between off and on I can shift normally. Anyone know what would cause that? Neutral safety switch?
Yes. Your transmissions thing isnt matched to your actual detents. You need to adjust it if the sensor is good.

Or, wait, I mistook your words. Your igniution switch, the electrical one, is maybe having issues?

Reaction score
Yes. Your transmissions thing isnt matched to your actual detents. You need to adjust it if the sensor is good.

Or, wait, I mistook your words. Your igniution switch, the electrical one, is maybe having issue

Or, wait, I mistook your words. Your igniution switch, the electrical one, is maybe having issues?
In the position where I can shift I have no power to anything it's just far enough to unlock the steering column. I'm not sure if that makes it an ignition switch problem?