Shake/Vibration when Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If the truck drives fine, on the same roads, without the trailer on, then it almost HAS to be that the trailer is throwing the steering geometry off just enough to get a vibration or shaking in the wheel. I don't know how the roads are in your area, but we have plenty of bad pavement in Texas. Only good roads down here, are freshly paved asphalt or new concrete. Anything with much age, the ground has moved under it and disrupted the surface....We don't have much in the way of freezes, but it usually is raining a lot, or none for a good while.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What's the wheelbase of the 2018? Is the hitch at the same height (tongue angle) on both?
Small tires are more prone to twitchiness, that's why I mentioned them. Think riding a scooter vs a motorcycle.

So many factors determine a truck and trailer setup, change one thing and your results will be different.
Yup, see my post about the loads and trailer, one ton pickup vs. half ton Burbs.....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You actually have a decent amount of caster in there. Well, decent for our trucks anyway. I'm sure that green camber is positive, but it won't make anything go weird. When the front end lifts up, I believe you lose caster. But my 1500 won't take any and doesn't shake empty or loaded. I'd just get down there and sanity check that it's all still tight down there. Did the inspectors look for end play or just for rotted stuff?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the truck drives fine, on the same roads, without the trailer on, then it almost HAS to be that the trailer is throwing the steering geometry off just enough to get a vibration or shaking in the wheel. I don't know how the roads are in your area, but we have plenty of bad pavement in Texas. Only good roads down here, are freshly paved asphalt or new concrete. Anything with much age, the ground has moved under it and disrupted the surface....We don't have much in the way of freezes, but it usually is raining a lot, or none for a good while.
Around town you don’t feel anything, I only noticed as I was getting up to speed on highway. I wasn’t on for long.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just get down there and sanity check that it's all still tight down there. Did the inspectors look for end play or just for rotted stuff?
I do check it often, everything is tight. There is no rot on truck. What corrections would you make to alignment?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I do check it often, everything is tight. There is no rot on truck. What corrections would you make to alignment?

Static the alignment won't cause a shake under load, the question is what's happening to it under load? The front end will sit higher and the whole thing will cant over backwards when that happens.