Shake/Vibration when Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it for what it’s worth, this is from E-trailer:
There are a few different causes for the steering wheel to shake while towing. The tires as you mentioned could be out of balance but they would have to be pretty far off in order to shake the vehicle's steering wheel. The way the trailer is loaded is also a potential cause. The trailer needs to be loaded so that 60% of the weight is in front and 40% is in the back. Have you tried to load the UTV further forward or backward? The last potential cause I can see is a stiff suspension. If the leaf springs have not yet broken in then this could be what is casing the shanking as the suspension is not absorbing road shock and is then transferring that back onto the vehicle.

I would first try to move the weight around on the trailer and then balance the tires if moving the weight around does not help. The last option would be to take the trailer back to the dealer and have them look it over for you.

^^^That was an answer to someone else’s question.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I have towed these with another truck smooth as butter. Load can’t be shifted around on this trailer.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 60/40 statement is a myth. It needs to be loaded level. The axle(s) on the trailer carry weight and the tongue carries weight which gets shifted to the truck.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I have towed these with another truck smooth as butter. Load can’t be shifted around on this trailer.
It can be added though. If you have too much tongue weight you can add weight to the rear of the trailer to get it balanced better. Cinder blocks or old batteries work well.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 60/40 statement is a myth. It needs to be loaded level. The axle(s) on the trailer carry weight and the tongue carries weight which gets shifted to the truck.
So, with the placement of the axle where it is and with both Atv’s loaded in, there is virtually nothing I could do for shifting. I could add weight forward or aft though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
None. If it's primary use is unloaded I'd figure out how to balance the trailer better before I messed with the loaded alignment.

I'm not necessarily advocating for messing with it, rather characterizing it. There may be nothing wrong with the loaded alignment.

Yeah that's just dumb. 10-15% should be tongue weight for a bumper pull setup, level of course or else that can cause issues. Caman how level is the trailer behind your 400? And I'm absolutely against putting weight behind the rear axle to try and lighten the front. That's a real good way to induce some sway. What are the tire pressures running on this truck?