Shake/Vibration when Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On highway when towing 2 Atv’s on aluminum trailer(2200 lbs. max) steering wheel shaking and vibration only when on highway. Front end rebuilt 1 year ago, no issues when not towing. Rear suspension new 4/5 leaf’s a little over a year ago. Is it possible tongue weight changing geometry and affecting drivetrain?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On highway when towing 2 Atv’s on aluminum trailer(2200 lbs. max) steering wheel shaking and vibration only when on highway. Front end rebuilt 1 year ago, no issues when not towing. Rear suspension new 4/5 leaf’s a little over a year ago. Is it possible tongue weight changing geometry and affecting drivetrain?
Yes, how level is the trailer and how well balanced is it with regard to tongue weight and level?
We were extra careful last month, going to Austin and back, with crew cab and trailer, because the trailer was not lower in the front like I prefer to tow. Didn't have a lower drop ball mount and didn't really want to buy one just for one trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_104431916_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230424_104431916_HDR.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 14

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be, same thing happens in our old 1-ton ford at work when we’re towing the 16’ trailer. And it’s got new u-joints and front end.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the trailer itself is made specific for towing 2 Atv’s. It’s a side load, meaning they drive up and down from the side. They JUST fit on, no room to adjust forward or backward load. The axle is placed to give it the 60/40 balance. @HotWheelsBurban it is level, but maybe I’ll try giving it a bit lower tilt like you mentioned. Other than that, wheels are balanced and good on truck and trailer. Another thought is after reading something on E-trailer is if leaf springs are too stiff, that could cause a shake. IIRC, I don’t remember a shake before doing new leaf springs. But, it may have had a bit of a tilt like you mentioned.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well the trailer itself is made specific for towing 2 Atv’s. It’s a side load, meaning they drive up and down from the side. They JUST fit on, no room to adjust forward or backward load. The axle is placed to give it the 60/40 balance. @HotWheelsBurban it is level, but maybe I’ll try giving it a bit lower tilt like you mentioned. Other than that, wheels are balanced and good on truck and trailer. Another thought is after reading something on E-trailer is if leaf springs are too stiff, that could cause a shake. IIRC, I don’t remember a shake before doing new leaf springs. But, it may have had a bit of a tilt like you mentioned.
I've towed this same size trailer several times with the Burb, and the Yukon XL Denali before that. But both are lower, being half tons. On the Burb I have the standard drop mount, I think they consider that a 2" drop. The crew cab came with a similar ball mount; the guy I bought it from said he'd towed a small boat trailer with it without issues.
These trailers are rated at 1200# empty and 3800# loaded. I think I was pretty close to that....Most of my boxes are 15-30 pounds each, but several are closer to 50-75# each; those are in the front, on the floor with the other heavier boxes on top. Front of the trailer was up to the roof, but upper layers were tarps and other stuff that doesn't weigh much, to keep from being top heavy.
On this trip, I had ~8-900 pounds of tables, parts and fixtures in the bed, besides the stuff we had in the cab. Even with all of us in the truck, it still sat up a little in the back. I think it'll take a bed full of big blocks to set this one down LoL....

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the alignment is changing with the load. What's the alignment like empty?
Perfect, zero play in wheel, runs straight, no vibration or shaking. Looking at stuff on line, seems to be a multitude of things. Could be the trailer itself.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tongue weight is too heavy unloading the steer axle is my guess.
Post a picture of the truck and trailer loaded.
Ok, thanks m still digging for a better picture. But this shows what I’m towing.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach