SBC Engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zero10

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1995 K1500 5.7 tbi. I want to built the motor to around 600 hp. It ran fine until the radiator sprung a leak. I have never built a motor before and am not sure where to begin. Had not tested to see what power still lived in it before the rad went. Am not opposed to changing all internals. Sorry for the rambling

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't be able to do it, for long anyway, with that block. The 1/2 ton TBI blocks were 2 bolt mains and generally are good up to 500hp. You'll need a 4 bolt main block and a massive cam, along with going to at least a 383. I would consult an engine shop and have them do it if you've never built a motor before.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1995 K1500 5.7 tbi. I want to built the motor to around 600 hp. It ran fine until the radiator sprung a leak. I have never built a motor before and am not sure where to begin. Had not tested to see what power still lived in it before the rad went. Am not opposed to changing all internals. Sorry for the rambling
Not sure what you're doing with a 4x4 that needs 600 hp. I would build a stout 300 to 350 sbc that would work well of road or go bbc. A high rpm screamer isn't fun off road unless you're on the dunes or in the mud