sas minimum lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck getting an axle to fit under the frame, ESPECIALLY in a spring under configuration with a 4" lift 47" spring. I don't think people realize how tight it can get with a low slung axle swap. There isn't but ~6" between the top of my stock 52s and the bottom of my frame. Not exactly enough room for an axle set spring under. But, it's your truck and your money; and my brackets didn't give but about an inch of lift if the stock 52s give 4" alone. It may work with an off the shelf kit, but I wouldn't want to spend my money that way.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I still dont see the point of making a low profile SAS truck... Just useless in my opinion.

SAS trucks are for usually higher and bigger trucks with bigger tires. If youre going to stay on road and run tires less than 35'', SAS'ing a truck is totally pointless.

People are always like "Ohhh ifs parts go out alot'', ya sure, but the only ifs part id have to replace on my truck in 20 years was a CV boot.... And I wheel my truck like a motherfvcker

if youre constantly breaking tie rods, spend 150-300 on some upgraded tie rods, dont spend $2000+ for a SAS...

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats funny, sas is way stronger and has way less parts to wear out no matter the tire size. you really must wheel the hell out of that thing if you haven't broke or wore out anything on the front of that that half ton, haha. ive broke my share of one ton stuff and had to replace tie rods, ball joints, idler arms, cvs, ect. ect., too many times. next time the front end gets sloppy my k3500 is getting a d60 with minimum lift so I can still use it for what its meant for, pulling trailers, hauling hay and wood without needing a ladder to load the bed, and ill never have to worry about it.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
thats funny, sas is way stronger and has way less parts to wear out no matter the tire size. you really must wheel the hell out of that thing if you haven't broke or wore out anything on the front of that that half ton, haha. ive broke my share of one ton stuff and had to replace tie rods, ball joints, idler arms, cvs, ect. ect., too many times. next time the front end gets sloppy my k3500 is getting a d60 with minimum lift so I can still use it for what its meant for, pulling trailers, hauling hay and wood without needing a ladder to load the bed, and ill never have to worry about it.

I do. It seems like people just over-exaggerate IFS. I mean hell, i think it was a big mistake putting an IFS under a truck to begin with, but its still strong no matter what you do. Unless your just rev-limiter mudding and crawling and not doing maintence then ofcourse things are going to break. And yes, there are parts that wear out. Ball joints, bushings, etc... but nothing that is a moving part under a car or truck isn't made to last forever.

So if you replace ball joints maybe once or twice or maybe a CVD, dont just automatically decide IFS is junk.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
sas with a d44 is no stronger than the 1/2 ton ifs, the jeep axle makes it even harder to make work on a low lift, just makes more sense to leave the ifs

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't put anything but a 60 under mine. as far as 44/10 bolts go ive seen them live with bigger tires, more power and abuse and not break near as often as half ton ifs that ive seen broken differential housings, cvs that broke and took out numerous other parts, tires floppin around from broke tie rods, cracked/bent a-arms, faulty actuators, and no options for locker/posi/limited slip. I just see no positive side to ifs, in my opinion it has no business under a fullsize truck, and absolutely not under a hd3/4 or ton, hang a plow on that ifs and see how it holds up compared to a solid axel.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
I guess people like to ram stuff or something, or purposely try to break their IFS, hell, the control arms are like indestructable IMO.... ive hit curbs going over 45 mph... and got no damage... my whole front end, including ball joints is almost 20 years old, and the only thing ive replaced on my front IFS is a CVD boot (15$) an actuator, which i got lifetime warranty for, and brakes...
And I actually wheel the snot out of my truck, he is a pic from when i buried my whole front end up to the door, keep in mind im running 35's

You must be registered for see images attach

This is my DD and weekend wheeler. People like to bash IFS, but its actually a nice, up-to-date design that a ton of new cars and trucks use. Yea, parts wear out, but doesnt everything on a truck and car wear out eventually?

My point is: If you do some minor off roading and more on road driving, dont drop $2000+ dollars on an SAS because i highly doubt in your GMT400's life will you EVER spend more than 2k on IFS parts.

BUT: if you do more mudding, wheeling, and crawling, then go for it. noting is more sexy than and SAS off road rock crawler and mudder. Ive considered SAS'ing my truck hundreds of times... but can I afford it? no. would i like to do it? yes....

Last edited:

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
I guess people like to ram stuff or something, or purposely try to break their IFS, hell, the control arms are like indestructable IMO.... ive hit curbs going over 45 mph... and got no damage... my whole front end, including ball joints is almost 20 years old, and the only thing ive replaced on my front IFS is a CVD boot (15$) an actuator, which i got lifetime warranty for, and brakes...
And I actually wheel the snot out of my truck, he is a pic from when i buried my whole front end up to the door, keep in mind im running 35's

This is my DD and weekend wheeler. People like to bash IFS, but its actually a nice, up-to-date design that a ton of new cars and trucks use. Yea, parts wear out, but doesnt everything on a truck and car wear out eventually?

My point is: If you do some minor off roading and more on road driving, dont drop $2000+ dollars on an IFS, because i highly doubt in your GMT400's life will you EVER spend more than 2k on IFS parts.

BUT: if you do more mudding, wheeling, and crawling, then go for it. noting is more sexy than and IFS off road rock crawler and mudder. Ive considered IFS'ing my truck hundreds of times... but can I afford it? no. would i like to do it? yes....

I think u ment to type SASing your truck is already ifs :lol: