Sanding and painting my receiver hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay I picked up a receiver hitch for my truck this weekend. It has some pretty deep surface rust. I could just bolt it up and be done with it but what fun is that..? So I started sanding on it.. I have a hand held pneumatic belt sander and it's awesome BUT! The compressor runs constantly and just about twice an hour it pops the breaker.. Should I just work with this..? Or you think a sandblasted would be better?

And priming and painted good enough? Or should I look in to powdercoating?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If it's that rusty, just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Blasting and coating an old pile of junk will cost you more than buying a new one, and won't last as long.

Reaction score
I spent $30 on it. And I have the paint for it already. The only other thing I need is time to make it look the way I want.

To shoot it do I have to take it to bare metal?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
No, you could literally paint over the rust, however if you want it to last for any amount of time, you will want to remove all traces of rust, as well as degrease it properly, and apply a few coats of primer, then a few coats of paint of your choice.

Most spray can paints aren't going to be as durable as 2 component automotive paint, or an original powder coat finish.