Anyone running a Curt FRONT receiver hitch? Need opinions for my '96 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdnky

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the intended use. The Curt 31042 the OP asked about is rated for 9K by Curt in straight-line pulls. In fact they even specifically mention it: "CURT front hitches are also rated for a straight-line pull capacity of 9,000 pounds, making them an excellent tool for recovery towing and winch applications." So they at least think they're pretty stout, and the lawyers actually let them state it. That said, they also mention it's only as strong as the weakest part and generally the receiver mounted winch cradles being sold are only rated to 5K or 6K.

I thought about installing the hitch on mine, there's plenty of other potential uses...but I'm not sure I'd rely on it for winching the truck out of situations. I have the Mile Marker HI9000 on my Jeep and I've used it plenty of times. It's also bolted to a very stout winch bumper (Shrockworks). I've almost never been able to get a "straight" pull when using it. I do get that thing in some very nasty/precarious situations though....

The industry standard recommendation for a winch (Warn, Ramsey, Mile Marker, Smittybilt, etc.) is 1.5 to 2 times the loaded weight of the vehicle. I've had that conversation with the MFG's reps many times, and always tended to lean towards the 2x rule myself. The heaviest K1500s max out about 4700 to 4800 pounds. So, if the OP is looking for something to drag logs out of the woods or do very light-duty recovery, then it might be usable.

If he's going to rely on it for anything severe, I'd look at other options. Either have a local shop fab up something using 1/4" to 3/8" plate, or possibly the Rough Country hidden mount (1/4" material) for the winch and put the receiver on for other uses. I'm slightly leaning towards the latter option myself, albeit with some gusseting added for strength. Then again, I might try dabbing something myself when I feel a bit more comfortable welding.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read, watch, download any intelligent offroad info. From Ian Johnson, to Peterson's Offroad Magazine, etc. They recommend a winch being used for extraction be:
A: rated at 2 to 2.5 times the weight of the truck. Your truck weighs 6k, your winch should be 15k.
B: and be directly bolted to the frame.
That's because 6000 lbs of rolling weight is well over 10k of "down to the axles stuck in the mud" weight.

Using a hitch as a winch mount puts all of the strength on the single 5/8" hitch pin. Now do you truly believe he "might use it to yard a small log out of my windbreak" as O.P. swears?
My suggestion is to "go big or go home" because to me, it sounds like he might just try tow a 30' travel trailer with a 1.25" class 2 hitch.

@DennisT also said his intended use was to steer/park a trailer with the front of his truck. A1 choice buddy! That's the best use for it.

if you’re shearing a 5/8 pin you got more issues than that to worry about.
i would worry more about the welds and quality of the hitch mounting plate