Safe to drive with broken sunshell/sungear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 2 months of trying to sell it I got tired of dealing with broke craigslist ********* who couldn't scrape up $900 for a running rust free OBS with a straight body so I took the ad down and it's been waiting on me to find the time to put a trans in it. I think I've found the time. Ordered a new trans cooler today, probably gonna pull it into the shop and start tearing into it tomorrow.
I think I've decided I'm gonna tear the bad trans down and inspect the carnage and then decide the course of action from there. Might rebuild it again, and try not to **** it up this time.
I sure do miss driving it.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to have it rebuilt by a trans shop for $700. Don't have time to be rebuilding it now that I'm back in school. Got it back today.
Transmission rebuilder said the original failure was some bearing close to the low-reverse planet, which got debris into the planet, trashing the gears. The debris from the planet and bearing then trashed the clutches. Very common failure.
He said it's unlikely that it was my fault, and that the trans was put together well.
I installed a new trans cooler last weekend. I believe I'm ready to start installing the rebuilt unit.
You must be registered for see images attach

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finished installing the trans and tested it out today. It began to slip badly a few miles into the test drive.
I can't win with this ******* thing.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started it up and attempted to drive it again today. No movement in any gear.
Also started making this noise again. This vid is from when it broke back in March, but it appears the rebuilder, Titan Transmissions in Knoxville TN, didn't address the issue. Symptoms and sound point towards a bad pump. It's under warranty.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the trans back to the rebuilder and he went back through it. He said he found absolutely nothing wrong with it, and that the pump looked perfect. He told me to suspect a cooling system blockage. I installed a new cooler in August and had no problem flushing the lines .
I'll test the flow through it and look real close for pinched lines, but I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil cooler flowed fine. Got the trans and another new torque converter back from the rebuilder and installed it. Seems to be working pretty good. Pretty happy with how Titan Transmissions handled this. Those guys are really professional and friendly and did everything they could to make it right, even with it being a bit ambiguous whether it was a rebuild or installation error. Still not completely sure what the issue was. Torque converter perhaps.
Only complaint is the 1-2 shift being softer than it should be. Shifts sorta slow at high rpm. Oh well. I'll rebuild it myself next time.
Onto the host of other problems.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Good trans shops are hard to find... Least it's running again.

I feel your pain about trying to sell stuff. Seems everyone around here wants you to take a big loss when selling your stuff (ie, give it away) yet wants you to pay high dollar for their dusted off junk. I've never been able to win with anything I've sold or tried to, at most, I just break even.