Rust in coolant.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I'm replacing it with one of these... just hope I don't F up the threads in the intake while removing it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prs-1001

Pretty much what I always use(I pick them up at hardware stores usually though). What I meant was if you are going through the trouble of removing the manifold then just buy a bare one for cheap instead of try and save that one. Its worth the 20 bucks not to fool with it in my opinion.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be praying to the PB Blaster gods while I'm cranking on it.

just be patient ya i know its hard and weird coming from me due to me being very impatient, put the open end closed end wrench on it and what i did was i was holding the wrench with one hand and i hit my left hand on my right and i gave it just enough hit that it broke it loose but not enough to break it off, if it feels like its gonna break dont force it!!!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Does the truck run above normal operating temp? Mine had this problem after I bought it. A family friend who is a mechanic back in Illinois told me it was the same "quick disconnect" that Chris mentioned. It's probably a 5/8" or so internal diameter and mine was corroded so bad it was probably half that size. The truck was running warm, and that was the cause.

I doubt this is what's causing the color of the coolant to turn brown since that piece I referred to is aluminum and not steel.

Truck does fluctuate in temp a bit when its warmed up.. saw the fitting back there today.. definitely corroded. Will put on to-do list regardless..

nah the fitting doesnt get rusted it just gets badly corroded ill attach a pic of how mine was i was lucky enough to get it out without breaking it surprisingly with my impatients, but ya i understand bout not messing with it if ya need it the next day, im the same way, ended up having to walk to the parts store when i replaced the fitting and the guys gave me the wrong parts so i had to go back later and actually talked to a guy who knew and understood what i was trying to do and set me up!!

if you ran water through the radiator and it came out clear id conclude the radiator shouldnt be the prob (dont quote me) so since you had it running then you say it got brown id say its gotta be coming from somewhere inside the motor when its circulating.

when you ran water through it did you have the bottom hose connected?

trying to think....all im coming up with is if you ran water through the radiator with hoses off and drain plug open and it was all good its gotta be coming from the motor or somewhere where the coolant/water circulates to.

All hoses were attached, motor was running while flushing for a while with drain plug open.

Are you 100% sure its rust?

Most of the time if the truck was ran without antifreeze for a long period of time the rust will take a long time to remove. I've always used Prestone cooling system flush and it works pretty well. Just follow the directions. Some people use CLR with great results as well. Take *some* caution when flushing out old, high mileage motors though. Sometimes the rust/corrosion/sludge is whats keeping it from leaking. When you are flushing it, the truck is running, correct?

I'm not sure what else it could be? Yes the truck is running.

I had a problem with my quick disconnect leaking, A quick o ring replacement fixed that.

I would make sure it actually is rust you are seeing. If it is, flush the system until clean water starts pumping through.

I believe it is. I flushed the system multiple times until clear water only was coming out, it keeps coming back it! Then I sorta gave up/forgot about it for a while -.-
I'll try with some good rad flush juice like Tempted mentioned above here soon.

Couldnt continue this quoting madness any longer

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Well it could also be blow by or soot. You don't always see coolant in the oil when oil is in the coolant.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You're not using dex cool are you?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
And where might that be entering the coolant passages from?

Head gasket. Cracked heads are common in TBI trucks too but normally show signs of water in the oil.

What color is the antifreeze that you put in it and that was in it before? Dexcool is orange/yellow.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes when i replaced my heads that @$%&(*&%$W#$^%^E$%% quick disconnect broke and all i did was put a wrench on it didnt even turn it. &*$$%^* pot metal, who needs it?