Ruptured Metal Brake Line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday, while my truck was already on a service lift for a transmission service, my rear driver’s side brake line ruptured apparently due to rust. Today I removed the gasoline tank to access the leaking line. All the other metal brake lines look good with no visible rust. I guess the gas tank held moisture against the line and rust it. I have circled in yellow the leaking part of the metal line.

Is this common?

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 34

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I blew a line like this last year, ended up replacing all of them. Mine was in approximately the same spot as yours, but not blocked by the gas tank.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Change all the lines to stainless steel.
it is a common problem for these lines to rust out. SAFETY FIRST !!!! The kits are relatively inexpensive and just bolt in.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Change all the lines to stainless steel.
it is a common problem for these lines to rust out. SAFETY FIRST !!!! The kits are relatively inexpensive and just bolt in.
Can you suggest a business that sells stainless steel brake lines for our GMT400s?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard Inline Tube makes a set but I've no personal experience with stainless. I have cut and flared the nickle copper lines on several trucks for repairs.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, stainless tubing doesn't rust.

But if you search, you'll find lots of folks that can't get the stainless flares to seal. Or if they do seal, it's with copper sealing washers, or repeatedly tightening the livin' crap out of them.

Not my first choice.

I built a pair of 3/16 brake tubes from NiCopp tubing. My tooling couldn't make a decent, repeatable double-flare on that stuff. I did eventually get it to seal. I did not have any fun doing it, and I screwed-up a number of flares and then had to cut 'em off.

Plain ol' double-wall seamless steel tubing for me, thank you very much. QUALITY tubing lasts decades. The cheap-crap tubing GM used in the 2000s had a short service life, but that was due to excessive cost-cutting--using crappy tubing on a safety-critical assembly.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used https://www.inlinetube.com/. Excellent product. Reasonably priced. Zero issues with fitment or sealing. They sent me the wrong length braided hoses. I sent them a picture of the hoses I received next to a tape measure and a new set of the correct length hoses arrived a few days later no questions asked. I have no relationship with them other than being a satisfied customer.

If it was my truck, I would replace all of the lines and hoses. You have experienced likely the only good time to have a brake failure. Might be a good idea to consider purchasing a lottery ticket, as well.