Running temp 160, good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
My truck, idle or highway, a/c or not, sits at 160 on the temp gauge. I thought I read somewhere 195 is best for our trucks. Is this just the gauge reading incorrectly, or would this be signs of a bad tstat?

Thanks,

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
might be stuck open or its missing.

In my personal opinion, cars and trucks run the best at there recomended operating temp. 195 is the factory thermostat for 96-99(classics) as far as im aware of. I dont know about 88-95 TBI trucks, but its probably the same.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I like the Fail safe T-stats. when they fail, they fail stuck open which is way better then stuck shut.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines the same way, I think its just a bad sensor between the plugwires. I'm going to get one soon.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
My gauge doesn't go above 160, but if I pull up the coolant temp in Torque on my phone it reads 190-194 all the time.
I realize you probably have figured out the issue by now, but just in case you haven't I figured I'd mention it.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Thanks, haven't yet addressed it. Have a tstat and coolant sensor sitting on my worktable. Trying to find a gasket for the housing as I have yet too. Summit and AutoZone both show an o ring instead of the usual flat type.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A lower temp. thermostat (160) is a performance up grade. I run a 170 degree in my 97 5.7 L. , and would have put a 160 degree in if I could have found on at the time. My truck runs better on a colder thermostat. Cold air helps gas to atomize better. That why there is such a big market for cold air intake system (K&N, ect.) A long time age, drag racers use to make a coil in the fuel line and put in a can of ice so that the gas was cold going into the carburetor. Today they use Nos. , it is mush more effective. On the gasket, an o ring is what is in there , not a flat gasket. There is a grove in the top housing that the rad. hose is on for the o ring to fit into. A 195 degree thermostat is what came stock in the truck, when it was new.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not trying to start anything here but I just figured I'd relay what I've been told by Justin at Black Bear Performance. When I got my tune from him I specifically asked whether going to a lower temp thermostat would be beneficial or not. His answer was a very firm "No" unless there was something else involved like a forced induction setup. He's under the impression that these trucks run the best with the factory t-stat and I'm inclined to believe him.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info df2x4. It is good to have knowledge, and I'm sure that a pro. tuner knows what he is talking about, All I know is what I have experienced in my truck. I live in south Louisiana where it is very hot and humid in the summer and a lot in the winter, it only gets cold here for about a week then it is hot again, and this repeats it self all winter. Going to a 170 degree thermostat has helped the performance of my truck. When I read the post, I saw that the poster is from Florida. The weather there is about the same as it is here. When the weather here is cool, my truck runs better than it does when it is in the 90's+. The cold thermostat has helped this for me.