Rotors and brakes opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing my front end. Got the break down done today & was wondering how much rust is too much rust when it comes to rotors. I wanted to possibly do them at a later time. Maybe about the next month or 2. Also wanted to fix up the steering knucke. But don’t think I should seperate the hub if not replacing would love some opinions on that as well

Driver Side
You must be registered for see images attach

Passenger Side

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver side Steering Knuckle

Passenger Side

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those rotors are done. Don’t skimp out on brakes. What about your wheel hub bearings, how are they?

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those rotors are done. Don’t skimp out on brakes. What about your wheel hub bearings, how are they?
The passenger is better than the driver side I’m assuming cause when I spin it it’s silent. The driver side you hear a light noise not quite a grind but you can hear it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The passenger is better than the driver side I’m assuming cause when I spin it it’s silent.
What’s better? Are you talking about the rotors or wheel hub bearings? I don’t know how much you want or can invest in your truck. Just saying, while you have it all disassembled, fix what needs to be fixed…if you can. Time is money and reassembling with old worn parts is a waste of time. IMO

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should keep this all in your build thread.
How many miles on truck, what steering parts are being replaced?

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better meaning silent when turned or spun. I’m assuming that’s a sign when you can start hearing something as it’s spinning it’s only a matter of time till it’s done.

I may have to wait an extra week or 2 but with everything I’ve gotten already . I’m not completely against waiting to re assemble new parts. at this point only thing that’s not new is the hub assembly, rotors, brake pads, calipers, cv axle & the LCA itself.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should keep this all in your build thread.
How many miles on truck, what steering parts are being replaced?
I been tryin. When I have a questions I tend to just make a new post. I’m not quite sure how to link a specific post from that thread that I may have questions about so I just post it again somewhere

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If wheel hubs are bad, I’d replace. So all new ball joints, tie rods, sleeves, sway bar links, pitman, idler, idler bracket…? Couple hundred more, maybe less you’d have new rotors, calipers and pads.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the rust on the surface of the rotors, that's a non-issue. As soon as you hit the brakes it will self-clean. The reason those discs are toast is that lip. You can turn the rotors, but with that much lip I'd bet they're wore out.