New Brake Caliper Dragging On rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin e

Reaction score
Back in December I redid the brakes on my 98 k1500, All new lines, Hoses, Calipers, Rotors, pads. After doing them I started to experience scraping, which turned out to be The new calipers scraping on the hat of the rotors on both sides. Not sure why, maybe someone has a better idea of a solution for it. Brakes work Good for the most part but seems like they're occasionally getting stuck on the groove that has been made from them scraping.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the wrong calipers. Several choices depending on which brake option your truck came with. Did you compare them closely to the original calipers?

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in December I redid the brakes on my 98 k1500, All new lines, Hoses, Calipers, Rotors, pads.
Stock replacements, or "upgraded" rotors/calipers/pads?

What is your brake option code? (JB5 would be common.)

After doing them I started to experience scraping, which turned out to be The new calipers scraping on the hat of the rotors on both sides.
CALIPERS, or PADS?

I've heard of folks using bigger-piston calipers and the matching pads, and then the pads rub on the rotor just like you describe. "I guess" the "solution" is to grind the pad backing-plate for clearance. Never had that problem personally.

Justin e

Reaction score

CALIPERS, or PADS?

I've heard of folks using bigger-piston calipers and the matching pads, and then the pads rub on the rotor just like you describe. "I guess" the "solution" is to grind the pad backing-plate for clearance. Never had that problem personally.
Calipers, Its all ACdelco Parts. The Pads aren't the issue, And yes its a Jb5 RPO Code for brakes

Last edited:

Justin e

Reaction score
Sounds like you got the wrong calipers. Several choices depending on which brake option your truck came with. Did you compare them closely to the original calipers?

Richard
Lined them up with the original calipers They looked the exact same and brake the exact same as before

Justin e

Reaction score

CALIPERS, or PADS?

But are they the CORRECT ACDelco calipers?

The calipers should be nowhere near the rotors, causing drag/scraping.
That's What I thought but apparently not, Its the correct size caliper for a Jb5 RPO Code, The new rotor is actually around .05 MM smaller then the original specs for rotor size but is the correct one. Honestly lost at this point and considering grinding down the two points that are scraping that way I don't have to keep fighting a problem that shouldn't even exist

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
All the calipers for our trucks look about the same, but dimensionally they are different.

I'd agree clear pictures of the area would be good.

Justin e

Reaction score
Turns out they were the correct ones like I said, But there's something faulty about the slides on them causing them to move around in directions they aren't supposed to. gonna just go ahead and replace them. Anyone got a decent brand of caliper cause these really don't seem to have worked out for me.