Roller-cam Vortec 357 TBI build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had to modify a couple brackets to work with the different Vortec intake pattern. I also heli-coiled and studded the carb holes and studded the carb-to-TBI adapter because if you used bolts that were too long they would hit on the carb pad and bend the adapter plate.

I went to the junkyard yesterday with my bro-in-law to grab some misc stuff and got a single air cleaner stud for TBI too so I can ditch the ugly stock one. It actually came out pretty nice for a bunch of used junk. The pistons, heads, headers and bearings/gaskets are the only new stuff. Oh and I did grab a new set of plugs & wires.

You must be registered for see images

It's looking good!

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Pick up a cheap ebay air intake for it :imo

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I modded the FPR this weekend to make it adjustable. I ground the bottom of the pod so I can get at it with a regular 7/16 wrench without removing anything other than the air cleaner. I had to make a Summit order anyway, so I just bought a Hypertech Powercharger too...figure it can't hurt.

I'm gonna tune it with my wideband that's in the Beretta right now. There's an ADS for $0D available with a wideband hack to display your A/F right in the OBD1 datalog.

I made my own gauge adapter and then realized I'm an idiot. Since I had an extra TB from the parts truck I just welded two fittings together and tapped it 1/8 NPT. I put it on the return since there was more meat in the adapter to tap...but that's not going to give me a reading of the injector pressure. Duh. I don't think the feed fittings would have enough meat to tap the NPT port though anyway, the cfm-tech one must be meatier in the center where the port is and just the back opened up for the fuel line nut. I'll figure something out.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't updated this in a while. Got slammed with OT at work, but it's slowly coming together. Got it back in the truck tonight, so that's progress...haha

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
did you port out your tbi bowl, i just came across this and ive been thinking about doing almost everything your doing in this build believe it or not, so this is a good guide for me to use

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you port out your tbi bowl, i just came across this and ive been thinking about doing almost everything your doing in this build believe it or not, so this is a good guide for me to use

The throttle bores are stock diameter, but smoothed. This thing isn't going to see a million RPM, so I think the stock bores should be fine.

Had to dick with the fuel lines and throttle cables this weekend because of the carb intake, but I got it all sorted out. I also installed the accessory drive, clutch slave, starter, etc. so all I really need to do is fab my header to muffler exhaust section, figure out the CTS for the Vortec head and fluids and I can fire it up. Well, I guess I'd need the radiator too haha. But it's close.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ancient update: truck has been running for a while now. Stock TBI CTS works with Vortec heads, no problem. Could only get 11psi with the stock fuel pump, so I'm swapping in an ACDelco TPI pump tonight. Anything over half throttle pegged lean.