Reverse lights dont work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I bought new bulbs, and both new taillight assembly's but my reverse lights don't work. I checked all fuses they are all good. What are some common problems with this circuit that I might be overlooking? All of the other lights on the truck work perfectly. Thanks in advance

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
It's yours neutral safety switch or something like that I think. It's under the dash on the driver side

sent from my glade air freshner

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year is the truck? If its got the linkage shifter (95 and earlier I think) they can get a bit sloppy and reverse lights will work if shifter is wiggled around.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
it could be that the bulbs aren't seated correctly or if you put LED's in, they may be in backwards. I also had an issue where I pulled my bulbs to check them, and when I put the back in they didn't work- the old bulb grease was frozen solid and clogged the socket so bad I could not put the bulb back in. Scraped all the frozen grease out, seated the bulb, and A-ok

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have specified, its a 1993 k1500 5-speed manual. So its not nothing to do with the automatic shift linkage.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I just got the truck out of hybernation and I still can't find the solution for this problem.

I did have in LED reverse lights and I also tried reversing them in case of reverse polarity on both but still nothing.

Where is the reverse light switch on a 5-speed?

AlanE

Reaction score
Have a similar issue though mine is a 95 with an nv3500. On my trans the switch is on the drivers side of the trans forward of the speed sensor. I tested the lights by pulling the connector off the backup switch on the trans and shorted the wires on the connector, my backup lights came on. This ruled out the wiring, fuse and bulbs. I pulled the switch and tested it, that was bad. Replaced the switch, tested the switch before I put it back on to make sure it worked but after connecting all of it back up, reverse lights didn't come on. I'm thinking there is something broken inside the trans that presses against the ball bearing on the end of the switch. You may just have a bad switch though.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the shift indicator in your dash display work correctly? In my 97 the problem turned out to be some kind of wiring pigtail was no good, so my truck didnt know what gear it was in and reverse lights never worked.