Restoring stock alloys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iff you can pull them, it would be easy on a bench grinder with a cotton buff wheel. Just remove the gaurd, and install the wheel. Use some white jewlers polish, then some white diamond metal polish. I did mine on the truck. Makes a mess that way. I do have a buffer that I use some. I also use a die grinder from time to time. Here is a pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'll try it. Thanks a mill. Btw did you apply clear coat?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
....difficult to get off with the strippers now mandated by the EPA, they are weak.

I found out that methylene chloride has been "outlawed" last time I went looking for stripper. All the stuff you find in the store brags about it being methylene chloride free, like it's a good feature.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll try it. Thanks a mill. Btw did you apply clear coat?
No, I did not. I just repolish with the white diamond metal polish evey so often. The rims are easy to keep up with. Maybe a repolish every 3 or 4 months. Under the hood, even easier. But the tail gate banner, requires a lot more attention. A repolish every 3 to 4 weeks. I use a wet terry cloth rag and a dry micro fiber and wipe my truck off maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I do this before the weekend car shows. If it needs it, I will wax my truck, but again maybe once in 3 or 4 months. Once its clean, its not that hard to keep up. I do go to the pressure washer car wash maybe every 3 or 4 months.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Aircraft stripper doesn't damage aluminum. If a machine shop can recut them at the same feed rate as original following the factory contours they can replicate the factory finish then they can be clear coated again.

I think the polished looks better!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just repolish with the white diamond metal polish evey so often.
I tried an experiment on mine - the 1 on the left was done with the White Diamond Metal Polish and the 1 on the right was waxed. Personally I like the White Diamond better.
You must be registered for see images attach