Replacing the bed, RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a quick update while I'm waiting on parts. I took the fuel pump out and dropped the tank. The gauge on the dash was pegged at "Full", but there was almost no gas in the tank. The pump/sending unit is junk. I'm very surprised that the truck even started, what with the condition of the pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the sending unit float, broken off and laying in the bottom of the fuel tank. See how little fuel is in the tank....

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Guys, relax. The fuel pump isn't an issue.

------

I took the fuel pump out and dropped the tank.
The pump/sending unit is junk. I'm very surprised that the truck even started, what with the condition of the pump.
As soon as I saw the pic of the crud on the top of the tank & around that fuel pump, my first thought was...
Uh-oh.
Good call on swapping it out!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah... I ended up vacuuming all that crud off and even hitting it with the air hose. One good smack with a screwdriver and ball peen hammer and the locking ring came right off. The rubber ring was also cracked and dry rotted.

The new pump, locking ring, and filter was all supposed to show up yesterday. It never got here, so now I wait even longer. In the meantime, I'll be replacing some fuel lines along the frame on the driver side. IMO, if your going to replace a line on something this old, do the WHOLE line, not just the part that is causing problems. Otherwise, it's just going to cause more problems sooner than later.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to bump my own thread, but I tore into the fuel lines today. Omg what a mess! I didn't even have to try to disconnect the lines because they all came off in multiple, rusted out pieces. Then, it took me all friggen day, but I finally found the full replacement kit.

It wouldn't have been such a hassle, but who the Hell uses o-rings and crimped rubber hoses to connect to the fuel pump/sender? I was seriously THIS close to just changing everything to braided steel hose and AN6 fittings... and I would have gone that route, but I can't find anything to adapt AN6 to the weird ass fitting on the end of the fuel pump/sender.

Once again, I wait on parts...

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1989 to 1999? More like 1988-1998 and "1999 classic"

There are no shortbed chassis cabs.

Richard
No reason to differentiate as people who own these trucks know the gmt400 was continued to actually 2000. I had a c3500 and it was a 2000 gmt400 body style. And I was simply stating the beds are the same. Im pretty sure people can figure out the short bed long bed not being interchangeable without needing to be spoon fed.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No reason to differentiate as people who own these trucks know the gmt400 was continued to actually 2000. I had a c3500 and it was a 2000 gmt400 body style. And I was simply stating the beds are the same. Im pretty sure people can figure out the short bed long bed not being interchangeable without needing to be spoon fed.
You'll be OK. No need to get butthurt over being corrected on 1988 vs. 1989. Bringing chassis cabs into the discussion only served to cloud the issue as OP has a shortbed so chassis cab is irrelevant.

Richard

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I'm gonna be in the same boat here in the next year or two probably. Does anyone know a good way to repair the wheel wells where the supports bolt to the bottom?

I had both front ones rust loose this winter at the bottom and I'd much rather repair the bed than replace it if possible since it's in great condition otherwise