Replacement OEM light housings vs Crystal Housings vs Polish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocanuck

Reaction score
So, what's better?

I think polish is going to discolour again quickly and between labour/polish kit, it is going to cost more than replacement lights leaving the question...

What produces more light, better light... OEM housings or Crystal housings? I prefer the looks of OEM housings but might be able to stomach crystal housings if they produce way more light.

N o way projectors are going to happen for my "resto-mod".

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have glass Spyders and they work extremely well, great output. I did reseal them before installation, but I never have to polish them.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my original plastic lenses were very yellowed, you could hardly know the headlights were on sometimes, i bought the glass spyders from amazon and new bulbs, its a 1000% improvement in output, im still amazed when i see a small white dot on the horizion, and when i get near it i realize its a speed limit sign that was reflecting in my headlights from a half mile away

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I like the glass spyder headlights but wish the lenses were a little more diffuse.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OEM are always going to perform better than any of the aftermarket options, but they come with a hefty price tag. Around $150 per side last time I looked. If you like the look of the factory lenses with the diffused plastic I'd stick with OEM.

ocanuck

Reaction score
OEM are always going to perform better than any of the aftermarket options, but they come with a hefty price tag. Around $150 per side last time I looked. If you like the look of the factory lenses with the diffused plastic I'd stick with OEM.

I found these jobber parts: https://ca.autoshack.com/Auto/Light...MIopGI2Iay3wIVxh6tBh2r3AtLEAYYCCABEgJw7fD_BwE I guess no reviews on the brand/part number? Not OE quality...

I plan to put some bright Philips bulbs I already have in a dead 2001 ZR2 into the new housings.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glass will almost always perform better than plastic, plus never turn yellow and dull.

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I wasn't sure for the price if these were legit or not, but they were WELL worth the price. Easy to adjust and they put out light that's at least 100% better than the foggy yellow OEM lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-D...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YC89ZW763AGQFTMXGC37

I ended up getting a set of taillight housings too. I've been impressed with them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Passenger-Ta...NF8P83ZTESR&psc=1&refRID=G9JP33K00NF8P83ZTESR

Sometimes it's worth saving a few bucks, when the product is as good as these seem to be, so far.