Replacement engine choices.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DO NOT buy a reman engine from a parts store unless you want 5 different size main bearings and steel shim plates to get heads that were milled 100thou back to factory compression. To say they are utter GARBAGE is an understatement.

This is mostly because ATK supply’s the engines and they are total garbage. The only thing they are good at is cataloging.

I use and only use TriStar engines out of Wisconsin. 10 years and about 100 engines later still the only ones I trust if I’m not building something myself.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that if your going to do something, you might as well over do something. When I go through the trouble of replacing an engine, I make sure I upgrade whatever I can afford at the time. There's no fun in a stock replacement, I'd be scouring racingjunk.com right now if I were you.
Damn everything on that website is expensive!

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think there's guys here that have done the Vortec heads. IIRC, there are some differences. Not sure what how you would do intake/electronics/ECU though if you mean a full Vortec conversion, but I'm sure it can be done as well.
Ya I've read thru some threads on the vortec swap. That seems to be the best way to go to get good hp for not much money. By conversion I mean vortec heads and suitable intake on a tbi bottom end.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I use and only use TriStar engines out of Wisconsin. 10 years and about 100 engines later still the only ones I trust if I’m not building something myself.

Tristar is actually about 3 miles away from where I live, lol. I dont know if they have multiple places where they build engines but everybody who works there that I've talked to love it. They treat their employees good.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DO NOT buy a reman engine from a parts store unless you want 5 different size main bearings and steel shim plates to get heads that were milled 100thou back to factory compression. To say they are utter GARBAGE is an understatement.
One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the all new gm crate. Buying that for 3k with no other upgrades. Assurance that I'm getting the best quality and longevity.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tristar is actually about 3 miles away from where I live, lol. I dont know if they have multiple places where they build engines but everybody who works there that I've talked to love it. They treat their employees good.
I haven't come across that company in my week long research. I'll look them up

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing you have to keep in mind is most rebuilder type pistons are a little shorter on compression height. Depending on what been done as far as decking and a replacement type .040 head gasket you're already dower power a touch with a little less compression and opened up quench. So take those hp numbers, to a certain degree, with a grain of salt. I'd rather find a core and have it built where I make the choices.

Read the warranty fine print on any of these remans/crates. Usually there has to be a licensed repair facility involved in the installation if a warranty is to be claimed. As stated some remans leave a lot to be desired. .060 + over blocks .040 under rods and mains etc. Given the choice I would stick to a GM crate and whatever install guidelines.
That's prolly why most of the rebuilders offer a no fault warranty. I'd hate to buy one and then look it over and see poor workmanship. I went to a few shops here in Phoenix. It's not good when there are a bunch of cars in their lot with hoods up, flat tires and all dusty.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run factory GM crate engines any time I need one. It costs more than other options but it's worth it to me. I like to do it once and do it right then move on to some other part of the project. Summit Racing is usually just about the most competitive prices.

I got my last one from Summit and then assembled it with extra junkyard parts to make the change out go quickly.

You must be registered for see images attach
The cheapest I found for the correct engine was $2910. It would eat up my budget but be the best choice. Summit and jegs would price match pace performance

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with GM’s new crate engine back in October & am pleased with it so far. Back in 2012 I purchased a reman from O’Reillys and I only got about 37,000 miles out of it. You get what you pay for. And for the record, I only drive about 4-5,000 miles a year, so it’s not from ragging it out.