Replacement engine choices.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with GM’s new crate engine back in October & am pleased with it so far. Back in 2012 I purchased a reman from O’Reillys and I only got about 37,000 miles out of it. You get what you pay for. And for the record, I only drive about 4-5,000 miles a year, so it’s not from ragging it out.

Again it’s not just oreillys, ATK supplies engines for oreillys as “power torque“ autozone, advance Napa, summit racing. And others. Atk products are garbage.

At least with oreillys I can outside source from a different vendor rather than be totally constrained to what’s in their computer.

Rob7233

Reaction score
Autozone offers a version of that engine for 2k. It only has the roller valvetrain. Cast everything else. I also was thinking of getting a shortblock and doing the vortec conversion. I have saved most of my stimulus checks so I have 3k to spend!

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12691673.html > Is the All New Vortec, $3095.00 out the door with free shipping and GM warranty included. The HD version Vortec : 12691672 (for C2500/ +) is $3195.00

I just bought the standard> 1673 for my 1997 GMC Sierra SLE C1500 and am getting ready for the install. I'm just about ready purchasing the new parts. Shipping was super fast (like 3days). Came on a wooden crate, bagged and boxed over. I wanted to be able to keep and drive this truck another 250+K miles and didn't need to go any faster.

I went this route and spent the money because I really hate doing things twice (Cost in Time, Effort & Money) and thought this gave me the best piece of mind AND I know exactly what I am getting. Additionally, it an improvement over the current original OEM even when it was new.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get Jegs / ATK and any engine if you don't install it asap fog it!

I made the mistake of trying to save a few bucks, should of gotten a new GM crate. Still gotta make a part 5 and tear into the shortblock more to measure n check stuff.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not watched it yet but been meaning to check out this vid

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12691673.html > Is the All New Vortec, $3095.00 out the door with free shipping and GM warranty included. The HD version Vortec : 12691672 (for C2500/ +) is $3195.00

I just bought the standard> 1673 for my 1997 GMC Sierra SLE C1500 and am getting ready for the install. I'm just about ready purchasing the new parts. Shipping was super fast (like 3days). Came on a wooden crate, bagged and boxed over. I wanted to be able to keep and drive this truck another 250+K miles and didn't need to go any faster.

I went this route and spent the money because I really hate doing things twice (Cost in Time, Effort & Money) and thought this gave me the best piece of mind AND I know exactly what I am getting. Additionally, it an improvement over the current original OEM even when it was new.
I've been thinking the same way. Drive it for another 200k! Keep in the family forever. I could picture it sitting in the driveway 20-30 years from now

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get Jegs / ATK and any engine if you don't install it asap fog it!

I made the mistake of trying to save a few bucks, should of gotten a new GM crate. Still gotta make a part 5 and tear into the shortblock more to measure n check stuff.

I was commenting on your videos last night lol. I've made the choice to get the 100% new gm 350

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Keep us posted. I'm buying a 5.7 one for my 1998 C1500 today!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the GM warranty is MUCH shorter if you're not buying the "correct" engine for your vehicle.

For example, guy wanted to stuff a "medium-duty" Vortec 5.7L into his K1500. This gets him 4-bolt mains, and maybe a forged crank. But since the "Medium-duty" engine isn't the recommended unit for a light-duty truck, the warranty goes from 3 years/36K miles to 1 year, 12K miles.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the GM warranty is MUCH shorter if you're not buying the "correct" engine for your vehicle.

For example, guy wanted to stuff a "medium-duty" Vortec 5.7L into his K1500. This gets him 4-bolt mains, and maybe a forged crank. But since the "Medium-duty" engine isn't the recommended unit for a light-duty truck, the warranty goes from 3 years/36K miles to 1 year, 12K miles.
From my research their 350 service engines are all 4 bolt mains. And all had 3yr 100k