Replacement engine choices.

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by gric_az, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Gramps

Gramps I'm Awesome

Again it’s not just oreillys, ATK supplies engines for oreillys as “power torque“ autozone, advance Napa, summit racing. And others. Atk products are garbage.

At least with oreillys I can outside source from a different vendor rather than be totally constrained to what’s in their computer.

BOOT likes this.
  2. Rob7233

Rob7233 Newbie

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12691673.html > Is the All New Vortec, $3095.00 out the door with free shipping and GM warranty included. The HD version Vortec : 12691672 (for C2500/ +) is $3195.00

I just bought the standard> 1673 for my 1997 GMC Sierra SLE C1500 and am getting ready for the install. I'm just about ready purchasing the new parts. Shipping was super fast (like 3days). Came on a wooden crate, bagged and boxed over. I wanted to be able to keep and drive this truck another 250+K miles and didn't need to go any faster.

I went this route and spent the money because I really hate doing things twice (Cost in Time, Effort & Money) and thought this gave me the best piece of mind AND I know exactly what I am getting. Additionally, it an improvement over the current original OEM even when it was new.

jaywestfall likes this.
  3. BOOT

BOOT OBS Enthusiast

Don't get Jegs / ATK and any engine if you don't install it asap fog it!

I made the mistake of trying to save a few bucks, should of gotten a new GM crate. Still gotta make a part 5 and tear into the shortblock more to measure n check stuff.

4. BOOT

BOOT OBS Enthusiast

Not watched it yet but been meaning to check out this vid

kenh likes this.
  5. gric_az

gric_az I'm Awesome

I've been thinking the same way. Drive it for another 200k! Keep in the family forever. I could picture it sitting in the driveway 20-30 years from now

6. gric_az

gric_az I'm Awesome

I was commenting on your videos last night lol. I've made the choice to get the 100% new gm 350

7. jaywestfall

jaywestfall I'm Awesome

Keep us posted. I'm buying a 5.7 one for my 1998 C1500 today!

BOOT likes this.
  8. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

Keep in mind that the GM warranty is MUCH shorter if you're not buying the "correct" engine for your vehicle.

For example, guy wanted to stuff a "medium-duty" Vortec 5.7L into his K1500. This gets him 4-bolt mains, and maybe a forged crank. But since the "Medium-duty" engine isn't the recommended unit for a light-duty truck, the warranty goes from 3 years/36K miles to 1 year, 12K miles.

98Bacon, BOOT and Gramps like this.
  9. gric_az

gric_az I'm Awesome

From my research their 350 service engines are all 4 bolt mains. And all had 3yr 100k

Rob7233 likes this.
  10. gric_az

gric_az I'm Awesome

Well I pulled the trigger on the new gm engine! Part #12691671 should be here next week sometime.

jaywestfall, Rob7233 and BOOT like this.