Replacement engine choices.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob7233

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the GM warranty is MUCH shorter if you're not buying the "correct" engine for your vehicle.

For example, guy wanted to stuff a "medium-duty" Vortec 5.7L into his K1500. This gets him 4-bolt mains, and maybe a forged crank. But since the "Medium-duty" engine isn't the recommended unit for a light-duty truck, the warranty goes from 3 years/36K miles to 1 year, 12K miles.

Rob7233

Reaction score
I was told as of last year all the new GM crate engines were now 4 bolt mains. However, you are correct in stating installing a non - oem recommend replacement will result in a reduction of warranty term. It was hard to get anyone to openly admit that. It wasn't until I called a local GM dealer and spoke to someone at the parts counter to openly inform me of their policy. Additionally, he didn't even have an updated or superceded parts number for a replacement long block. I had to take the original 1997 OEM # and some internet research to confirm the current GM recommended and (approved) engine replacement part #.