Replaced rear brakes - now 1 side hot & grabby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wickedstick

Reaction score
Guys, I’m having the drivers rear dragging bad on a 1999 c1500. Doesn’t seem to inhibit driving at all but heats up real bad. New drums, cylinders, shoes, hardware, soft lines and master cyl with no luck or correction. Only thing I haven’t done is changed or removed e brake cable to test.

Wickedstick

Reaction score
I had the same problem and I really, really hate to fess up to this but for me I put the spring at the bottom the shoes on the wrong side. Flipped it for behind the shoes to on the drum side and the problem
By the spring at the bottom do you mean the one near the self adjuster at the very bottom that pulls the shoes together?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I had the same problem and I really, really hate to fess up to this but for me I put the spring at the bottom the shoes on the wrong side. Flipped it for behind the shoes to on the drum side and the problem

Hey - just wanna say thanks for the bold 'fess-up. We're here to help each other and positive input is appreciated! :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky bastage! Most C1500s didn't get the Duo-Servo rear brakes. Maybe you have a "towing package" or some-such.

If the adjuster lever is touching the star wheel, and the spring is not...I'd say the spring is good. What your photo shows, seems to be the way it's illustrated in my '97 C/K service manual (the diagram isn't real good.)

Wickedstick

Reaction score
Lucky bastage! Most C1500s didn't get the Duo-Servo rear brakes. Maybe you have a "towing package" or some-such.

If the adjuster lever is touching the star wheel, and the spring is not...I'd say the spring is good. What your photo shows, seems to be the way it's illustrated in my '97 C/K service manual (the diagram isn't real good.)
It has new hardware now. But the adjuster is touching spring isnt however After I get them adjusted to where there is a slight drain and bolt everything together then they seem to lock up. I can’t figure it out I’ve even backed the self adjuster Off for enough that my brake pedal went all the way to the floor and they would still overheating on that side.