Replace spare tire hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My spare tire winch cable broke after 14 years. I was driving down a country road, drove over some train tracks and I heard a noise that sounded like a glass bottle breaking. I looked out my passenger side window and saw my spare tire actually roll past me on the shoulder, go down into the ditch, hopped over a barbed wire fence and ended up 20 yards into a farmers field.
I picked up a replacement winch at a local wrecker but it never really lined up the same. It was from a '97 and mine is a '95.
Ended up making a simple brace and mounting the spare in the box.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wonder if a cable off a GMT 800 would be the same? That would give you a bigger pool to look for one.
You'd think something that simple would be universal for a bunch of years, but engineers do love to change things. GMT800's are a big enough departure it makes me doubt much carries over at all, so I did look; the part # for the GMT400 hoist fits across the entire run of GMT400's. GMT800 part changed and the first version only fits 1999-2002 800's, then they changed it again for 2003 and that one fits all the way up to 2020.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My spare tire winch cable broke after 14 years. I was driving down a country road, drove over some train tracks and I heard a noise that sounded like a glass bottle breaking. I looked out my passenger side window and saw my spare tire actually roll past me on the shoulder, go down into the ditch, hopped over a barbed wire fence and ended up 20 yards into a farmers field.
I picked up a replacement winch at a local wrecker but it never really lined up the same. It was from a '97 and mine is a '95.
Ended up making a simple brace and mounting the spare in the box.

You must be registered for see images attach

Man that looks like you've been keeping it in a swamp...... I guess I can't say too much though. Earlier this year I found the leaves in my truck actually were decomposing enough to smell a bit like one.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You'd think something that simple would be universal for a bunch of years, but engineers do love to change things. GMT800's are a big enough departure it makes me doubt much carries over at all, so I did look; the part # for the GMT400 hoist fits across the entire run of GMT400's. GMT800 part changed and the first version only fits 1999-2002 800's, then they changed it again for 2003 and that one fits all the way up to 2020.

Richard

I can see the 800 using a different part than the 400 since the chassis' are so radically different... mostly hydroformed. It's weird they changed it again so soon, Though. Unless maybe they did a super poor job at it the first time. We've got early oddball stuff too, I guess.

My interior hood latch is out of a GMT-800. I noticed it was the same on something else too, at the auction.... an Envoy, I think.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man that looks like you've been keeping it in a swamp...... I guess I can't say too much though. Earlier this year I found the leaves in my truck actually were decomposing enough to smell a bit like one.

I assumed everyone's spare tire looked like that. I guess living under the truck is particularly ******* the steel wheels. At least no one wants to steal it....