Replace spare tire hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My spare tire winch cable broke after 14 years. I was driving down a country road, drove over some train tracks and I heard a noise that sounded like a glass bottle breaking. I looked out my passenger side window and saw my spare tire actually roll past me on the shoulder, go down into the ditch, hopped over a barbed wire fence and ended up 20 yards into a farmers field.
I picked up a replacement winch at a local wrecker but it never really lined up the same. It was from a '97 and mine is a '95.
Ended up making a simple brace and mounting the spare in the box.

You must be registered for see images attach
I just cut the spare off our 91, was considering the lmc bed mount which looks similar to your design.
Surprised they are only charging 25 bucks, most their stuff is spendy lol

Attachments

• section-image-6086ded2802697.23797171-thumb.png
    section-image-6086ded2802697.23797171-thumb.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 5

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I assumed everyone's spare tire looked like that. I guess living under the truck is particularly ******* the steel wheels. At least no one wants to steal it....

Around you, sure. Out west we don't get that kind of rot. Back home in MI survivors are as bad or worse than that.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The rim is rusty yes, but I was also looking at the rubber..... look how discolored it is.
That's kinda what the 2006-era spare under my SS looks like (the rubber discoloration, that is) and it's lived its whole life in the LA/TX area. :D I really don't trust old tires, but it feels weird spending money on a new spare tire. In the years we've had these two trucks, one spare tire got used one time, to get my wife's SS home after she ran over some debris on a dark section of freeway.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
replace old spare tires.... i had the one for my burb, de-tread itself and rip off the rear cooling and ac lines for the rear heater. pouring that coolant all over the exhaust making it look like she was on fire! WHILE my wife was on the way to our daughters baseball game... the day prior I had to put the spare on as the old flaking chrome rim just wouldnt hold air anymore. It looked absolutely perfect being inside the truck all those years. But it tore apart at the most inconvenient time and there was no spare in the truck.

$200 and many phone calls to find someone to come and swap the tire on the side of the road. that was money we really didnt have at the time either.

that was a couple HARD lessons learned.

Al

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
replace old spare tires.... i had the one for my burb, de-tread itself and rip off the rear cooling and ac lines for the rear heater. pouring that coolant all over the exhaust making it look like she was on fire! WHILE my wife was on the way to our daughters baseball game... the day prior I had to put the spare on as the old flaking chrome rim just wouldnt hold air anymore. It looked absolutely perfect being inside the truck all those years. But it tore apart at the most inconvenient time and there was no spare in the truck.

$200 and many phone calls to find someone to come and swap the tire on the side of the road. that was money we really didnt have at the time either.

that was a couple HARD lessons learned.

Al
Trust me, 100% agreed and as I said I don't trust old tires. Those SUV "kept inside and covered up" spares sure look great 20 years later, don't they? Until you run 'em!

Anything can happen with those old tires, even when you treat them like I do - like they're made of glass. We limped the truck home and got a new tire ASAP. Not the best contingency planning but we lucked out.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My spares are usually the best of what I just removed..... so tread very well worn, but not made in 99, either.

I should check the date code on the spare in the Buick.... It could be from the 80's. 90's at best.

How far back do DOT date codes go? I wonder about the tire in my avatar.... I assume it's from the 70's. I found it along the rail road tracks when I was camping in the 90's. It looks really nice, but has a gash in the sidewall.