replace clutch fan with Electric fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang this makes me want to do this. I would imagine that this would help out my gas mileage a lot. Especially in the winter months as it gets fairly cold where I live and I have a lot of cold starts. Example: my commute is about 7 miles and I can't even get any heat out of my truck for about the first 3/8 of the trip. If there wasn't a clutch fan constantly pulling cold air through there I bet it would get up to temp faster and I'd use less gas while it was cold (fan off).

I'll have to go to the local junk yard and ask about some of those fans. What should I look for exactly? Camaro's from the 90's? Any other models/ years that suitable fans come off of? Those eBay fans look pretty decent or at least the guy did a good job talking them up. I would probably need to run 2 of those 15 (14) fans right? Then I'd need the fan controler so I'd be looking about $90-$100 right?
I don't know if it would be possible (or practical) but it seems like it would be sweet to have duals that don't have to come on at the same time. Example: The first fan comes on at temp #1 and the second comes on at temp #2 but they both stay on until the temp is back to the bottom of temp #1 range. Also have fan #2 come on with the A/C regardless of temp. That sounds like a sweet setup to still provide adequite cooling under heavy/ hot loads (towing in the summer heat with the A/C on :)) but under light loads it would have a very minimal load on the system thus helping to boost the MPG as much as possible. Would that be possible with only one thermostat and just a more complicated relay/harness system?

To those who have done this how did the noise compare to your stock duty fan clutch? I had a heavy duty fan clutch on at one point and it was louder than all get out. I put the stock (light) duty one back on and it is much better so as long as the E-fan wasn't louder I would be fine. If it was quieter it would be great!

BTW what is the ideal temperature operating range?
Ps. I drive a Vortec 350

///M5

Reaction score
does the Express alt bolt up to the stock bracket?

After doing some research, I found that the alternator from 99' up GM trucks, and Vans have the same bracket and plug, so it bolted in and plugged right up. The only modification was the larger belt. Ebay has these units for $120.00 and they have been upgraded to pump out 200A!

Also, I forgot to mention, I put in a waterproof OE style plug for the fan, and the whole assembly and shroud comes out as a whole unit (which makes working on the front end a whole lot easier). Recently changed my water pump, and it took me 25 minutes....

chevydude1608

Reaction score
where exactly did you order the jeep fan and additional stuff from m5. I am interested in putting an efan on my truck.

///M5

Reaction score
where exactly did you order the jeep fan and additional stuff from m5. I am interested in putting an efan on my truck.

I purchased the fan from Pollard Mopar in Colorado. It was only $48.00 before shipping, and the controller from Ebay.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i like havin mine on a toggle so i can controll it and i kno when shes on

I'm thinking if/when I get around to doing this I could put a switch that would send power to the A/C override so I could manually turn it on if I wanted. I just couldn't manually turn it off. I was also thinking I could get a lighted switch or wire up a separate LED and that way I could see when it was on.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have complete control

But does yours turn on automatically with a thermostat? I know it would be possible to wire it up so it has an auto, manual on, and manual off but I can't see very many times that I would need all that control.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
But does yours turn on automatically with a thermostat? I know it would be possible to wire it up so it has an auto, manual on, and manual off but I can't see very many times that I would need all that control.

90% percent of the time you wouldn't even think about the switch, it would just stay in the "Auto" position until you needed to switch to manual, which is an option that's nice to have when towing in hot harsh conditions.