Replace 5.7 tbi motor with 5.7 carbureted motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floutlaws

Reaction score
I have a 1993 ½ ton 4x4 auto, with the tbi 5.7. I am looking at the possibility of changing to an old school ruff idle, carbureted motor. My truck is not a daily driver so time is on my side.

Beside the motor what else would be needed, I’m thinking flex plate, torque converter about 2000-2500 stall maybe from a Corvette. The computer stuff that plugs into the motor they will be not cut but hidden under something. Any thoughts on this would be great.

I don’t know too much about building a tbi motor. I’m only looking for 325 – 350 hp. I would also like to put a 75 – 100 shot of nitrous just to have for fun. The heads on the tbi can they be redone to actually let them flow. I have only seen one intake and not to much aftermarket TBI units. Holley and a couple machine shops that build there own and sell.

Thanks for any insight, experience, knowledge, for this new guy…

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I have a 1993 ½ ton 4x4 auto, with the tbi 5.7. I am looking at the possibility of changing to an old school ruff idle, carbureted motor. My truck is not a daily driver so time is on my side.

Beside the motor what else would be needed, I’m thinking flex plate, torque converter about 2000-2500 stall maybe from a Corvette. The computer stuff that plugs into the motor they will be not cut but hidden under something. Any thoughts on this would be great.

I don’t know too much about building a tbi motor. I’m only looking for 325 – 350 hp. I would also like to put a 75 – 100 shot of nitrous just to have for fun. The heads on the tbi can they be redone to actually let them flow. I have only seen one intake and not to much aftermarket TBI units. Holley and a couple machine shops that build there own and sell.

Thanks for any insight, experience, knowledge, for this new guy…

i would scrap the TBI heads, get a set of Vortec heads.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Also if your going ot do it, pick up a holley with an eltric choke and buy the $150 holley TPS kit, it is a VERY nice kit and way more better then rigging up something for the TPS, plus you can keep the Choke.