Repairing or Replacing the OEM Stereo in my 88' Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio + Electronics' started by Cheap Heap, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Cheap Heap

Cheap Heap OBS Enthusiast

So my 1988 C1500 Silverado interior is completely original and I'd like to keep it that way. The issue is the stereo has a mind of its own. Sometimes all the buttons work and other times very few of them work. Is there somewhere that I can send this stereo off and have it refurbished? Is there something I can try to do to make it more reliable? I'm not opposed to buying a different one but I'm mostly seeing units out of newer trucks, like 90-94. The stereo in my 88' Silverado looks a bit different. Is there a resource somewhere to know what OEM stereo's are compatible in my truck without modification?

2. Cheap Heap

From what I’m gathering the control heads are interchangeable from 88-94. My truck does not have the EQ in the tape deck and from what I’m understanding, that’s what’s different. Can someone confirm this before I buy a different control head?

Has anyone ever successful serviced a control head or know where I could send mine out to?

3. TechNova

TechNova OBS Enthusiast

4. Cheap Heap

I had actually emailed them yesterday about servicing my current control head and they said they don’t offer that service.

As far as I can tell the control box is ok but I suppose I don’t really exactly know how the system works. Sometimes when I try and adjust the volume or tuning I press the buttons and nothing happens. Sometimes everything works just fine. I had assumed the control head was going bad but you might be right, maybe it is the box itself. I could see if one button stopped working but having half the stereo not work seems odd. Maybe I should be looking for a new box. Any idea what the symptoms of a bad box are? The actual sound output in my truck is fine but making any adjustments is becoming more and more challenging.