Repair/Replace JB3 or Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have a rusty 91 k1500 5.7 TBI that needs a lot of work. Brakes are next on the list.
Lines and hoses are shot, abs cv/prop valve and MC need replaced.

Would you just repair/replace the stock JB3 system Or go for it and upgrade to a hydro boost set up ?

Truck is just a tinker toy right now but wanted to try and make it safe/ dependable enough to handle a long road trip like the hot rod power tour.

Attachments

• 20201128_114629.jpg
    20201128_114629.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211226_154321.jpg
    20211226_154321.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211226_171736.jpg
    20211226_171736.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211226_154018.jpg
    20211226_154018.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 29

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to put one dime into JB3/JN3 brakes. They're the *********, smallest, least-powerful "power" brakes ever put on a GMT400 vehicle.

Find a Treasure Yard, locate an extended-cab or newer regular-cab GMT400. Grab the entire front suspension, the booster, and the master cylinder. Now you have "spares" so you can rebuild the control arms, replace damaged CV shafts, etc. and get them ready before you rip your truck apart. Be careful with the lower control arms--the torsion bars on my truck and on the Treasure Yard truck were seized in the lower arms. If yours are seized, you can rebuild them "on the vehicle" with new bushing and new ball joints...but don't put new parts into the Treasure Yard lower arms until you're sure you can get the ones on your truck freed from the torsion bars.
You must be registered for see images attach

When it was me, I pulled the calipers apart for cleaning and inspection. There was nothing really "wrong" with them, other than a bunch of hardened crust on the square-cut seal which made the pistons stiff to move, which I scraped-off with my fingernail. Cleaned, inspected, lubed, put 'em back together, they work great. However, the Treasure Yard calipers and master cylinder would also make fine "cores" if you'd prefer to buy rebuilt calipers/master cylinder.

I re-used the rotors and hubs/steering knuckles from the extended cab. I'm told that the knuckles are the same, but the hubs/bearings are different. I did not confirm that, but a few minutes looking at the NAPA/O'Reillys/AutoZone/etc web sites would list the part numbers for the hubs.

The extended cab/newer regular cab brakes are JB5--thicker rotors, bigger pistons in the calipers. Along with that, the booster is more powerful and the master cylinder bore is bigger.

The JB5 rear brakes are the same as JB3/JN3. In other words, the rear brakes are garbage. 254mm (10-inch) leading/trailing drums. The best option is to figure out what gear ratio you have, then find a K2500 9.5" ring gear 14-bolt, semi-float axle assembly with the same ratio and 6-lug axle shafts. That will have 11.x-inch Duo-Servo drums, and be about twice as strong as the crappy 8.5" ring gear axle that's probably in there now. The rear brakes make at least as much difference as the bigger front brakes. The 254mm drums are terrible.

Together--the JB5 front brakes plus the bigger 11.x rear drums gets you the equivalent to JB6 brakes. Which is what I did on my '88.

Note that my brake upgrade was part of a front-suspension rebuilt including lower ball joints, and Polyurethane control arm bushings. My tie rod ends, upper ball joints, idler and Pitman arms were fine. My truck didn't come with a front sway bar, so that was grabbed from the Treasure Yard truck as well. I used the Treasure Yard brake pads which were almost completely worn-out, for about a week to take the rust off the rotors, before I put "good" pads on from Performance Friction (Made in USA, in one or the other of the Carolinas.) It also got fresh brake hoses from Russel; although if I were doing it again, I'd use the hoses from Classic Tube, which will almost-certainly fit better.

www.summitracing.com/parts/cst-sbh6055

The RWAL unit on my truck has a cast-iron body with it's own bleeder valve. Yours is the aluminum body with no bleeder. Be sure to follow the Service Manual procedure for bleeding your brakes.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to do "something" with the steering rag joint which is almost certainly wiped-out on your vehicle. I chose to upgrade the lower steering shaft to the C3500 unit that has a U-joint instead of a rag joint, which needs no modification other than a single, longer bolt at the bottom by the steering gear. BIG improvement!!!

I didn't dick with my tie rod ends; and I figure if the control arms are rebuilt and not bent, the alignment should be "good as new". I didn't screw with the knockouts at the upper control arm brackets. So far, so good...

...but I should have my alignment rack set up next summer so I can verify.

Your results may vary; and if you replace a tie rod end, you'll need an alignment so you might as well pop the knockouts out of the control arm brackets. My '88 had eccentrics welded in place; I think I'd have to cut those out to make my front suspension alignable. Most GMT400 have relatively-easy-to-deal-with knockouts pre-scored and ready to be obliterated.

Last edited:

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you so much!!!!! Love this forum!
Your right the rag joint is toast, didn't know the 1 ton c series trucks had the universal style shaft so will add that to the list!
Been watching suburban ranch YouTube channel who has been rebuilding an early year obs but has just been replacing all the factory parts.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Since the factory jb3 system is lousy to begin with and that the stock combination valve/abs valve are discontinued (I think), seems much smarter to go the route you did.
There aren't many treasure yards around my way but now I know what to look for so thanks again!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much!!!!! Love this forum!
Your right the rag joint is toast, didn't know the 1 ton c series trucks had the universal style shaft so will add that to the list!
Been watching suburban ranch YouTube channel who has been rebuilding an early year obs but has just been replacing all the factory parts.
Since the factory jb3 system is lousy to begin with and that the stock combination valve/abs valve are discontinued (I think), seems much smarter to go the route you did.
There aren't many treasure yards around my way but now I know what to look for so thanks again!
Totally agree!!!!

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made a heap of additions to both posts, if you read them before they're different now.

I'm done now...time to blow snow off the driveway before it gets dark.
Thanks for the additions...I am a little worried about the torsion bars being seized so will proceed with caution there.
Eventually wanted to swap the stock 342 gears with 410s but will keep a hairy eye ball for a 14 bolt sf rear. I found some localish Craigslist ones but they looked pretty rough.
Thanks again !

Last edited:

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right about the control arms too. Suburban ranch fella has a good video of it

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to do "something" with the steering rag joint which is almost certainly wiped-out on your vehicle. I chose to upgrade the lower steering shaft to the C3500 unit that has a U-joint instead of a rag joint, which needs no modification other than a single, longer bolt at the bottom by the steering gear. BIG improvement!!!

I didn't dick with my tie rod ends; and I figure if the control arms are rebuilt and not bent, the alignment should be "good as new". I didn't screw with the knockouts at the upper control arm brackets. So far, so good...

...but I should have my alignment rack set up next summer so I can verify.

Your results may vary; and if you replace a tie rod end, you'll need an alignment so you might as well pop the knockouts out of the control arm brackets. My '88 had eccentrics welded in place; I think I'd have to cut those out to make my front suspension alignable. Most GMT400 have relatively-easy-to-deal-with knockouts pre-scored and ready to be obliterated.
I just read a review on this part that said this won’t work on trucks with steering wheel airbag(96-98). Can you confirm that?