Repair/Replace JB3 or Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just read a review on this part that said this won’t work on trucks with steering wheel airbag(96-98). Can you confirm that?

It has nothing to do with air bags. The later trucks have a joint on the other side of the firewall, making 3 joints total. This makes for a situation where the steering input simply would alter the position of the steering shaft rather than turn the input shaft of the steering box.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with air bags. The later trucks have a joint on the other side of the firewall, making 3 joints total. This makes for a situation where the steering input simply would alter the position of the steering shaft rather than turn the input shaft of the steering box.
That’s good, I was hoping that was inaccurate.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read a review on this part that said this won’t work on trucks with steering wheel airbag(96-98). Can you confirm that?
I guess the '95--newer trucks have a different steering column--probably related to the airbag--that has a swivel joint under the dash. Adding the C3500 shaft makes for three swivel joints in all, and that's unstable.

Point being, if your truck has a swivel joint down by the brake pedal somewhere, no, that steering shaft is a very bad idea.