OBS to NBS MC upgrade questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
feels like I'm trying to stop a train, especially when pulling the boat. I'd have to STAND on the pedal to come to a quick stop.
Almost certainly something wrong.

I've had vehicles that didn't want to stop quickly; in the case of my Luminas, it was faulty power boosters (vacuum style). In the case of my Toronado and El Camino, it was plugged brake hoses not letting fluid flow to some of the wheel cylinders.

There's other things it can be...but faulty booster or plugged hose(s) come to mind.

I've done exactly zero brake maintenance since buying this truck approx 18 months ago.
That's gotta change. You buy a new-to-you vehicle, checking safety-critical stuff (brakes, steering, suspension) is mandatory.

I did put power steering fluid in the reservoir once after hearing it might improve braking.
Hopefully the PS reservoir, not the brake fluid reservoir.

With this upcoming brake replacement - I'm expecting the rears will be adjusted along with shoes replaced. I got new hardware kit as well.
That's a start. May need wheel cylinders, may need drums cut, or drums replaced. Same at the front--may need calipers, may need rotors cut or rotors replaced. Being a 2WD, I expect the thing needs to have the front wheel bearings cleaned, repacked with grease, new wheel seals, and properly adjusted.

I don't know what needs to be done regarding a reproportioning valve - I might have to order a new one though?
First Guess: You won't have to do anything with the "proportioning" valve, or the metering valve, or the safety switch in between the two valves, which constitutes the Combination Valve. You will want to bleed the ABS with a scan tool. I wouldn't expect problems with the combination valve, but anything is possible.

New brakes will be new rotors and pads. I didn't think to replace calipers.
If you don't replace them they need to come apart for cleaning at minimum, and seal replacement would be more common.
You must be registered for see images attach

"Crust" on square-cut seal, partially scraped-off with a fingernail:
You must be registered for see images attach

Conspiracy

Reaction score
One other point to check, I'm assuming this is a decent sized boat on a trailer with surge brakes and not a light jon boat. Maintenance on your trailer brakes as necessary as well. (Obviously disregard this point if it is a trailer without brakes)

Good call. The trailer is only about three years old. Hoping we don’t need to do much there yet but can’t hurt to check