Remove chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to remove the chrome from my 92' grille so that I can paint it. Is there an easy way to get the chrome off or do I have to just keep on picking and scraping until it's all gone?

Thanks

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
removing the chrome is not necessary. Just use self etching primer and paint it. Colormatched my chrome grille myself with rattle cans and no major issues. Be sure you use primer-color-clear. Do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again like i did.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shadow,

Yours looks really good. I'm having to remove mine because there are places where the chrome is already coming loose and peeling.
Where did you get those light covers?

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
Shadow,

Yours looks really good. I'm having to remove mine because there are places where the chrome is already coming loose and peeling.
Where did you get those light covers?

thanks my friend :cheers: and i think your best bet would be to sand smooth the imperfections where it's peeling and dont bother removing the rest of the chrome. just my .02

and are you referring to the fog lights or actual light housings?

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would recommend scuffing it up though before using a self etching primer. I have to repaint my grille every 1-2 yrs cause the paint chips off.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
I would recommend scuffing it up though before using a self etching primer. I have to repaint my grille every 1-2 yrs cause the paint chips off.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

x2. i also have to repaint mine when mud/clay dries to it after having fun. So be sure to wash your truck right after you mud

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
Not the fog lights, but the other lights.

oh, the black lights in my sig were the factory lights, i just night shaded the sh*t out of them, since then i have bought clear lenses, but i have been wanting some light covers because i miss the black lights.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
My 89 had the scabies chrome disease going on also. I painted mine black eventually and added the red and black OEM bow tie emblem.

Peel as much chrome off as you can. It's not easy and where it is still attached it won't go down without a fight. I used all manner of razor blades and picks to get it all off. Wear gloves when you peel it off. It is still nickle and chrome (IE: metal) and it will slice you open quicker than you can say ouch if you catch an edge.

It's not going to feather well with sand paper if you leave an edge, but if you're not super picky about the finish and don't mine a 20 footer you can do a decent job with peeling all the loose stuff off and best you can and shooting it with a flat paint...

onetongwa

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh, the black lights in my sig were the factory lights, i just night shaded the sh*t out of them, since then i have bought clear lenses, but i have been wanting some light covers because i miss the black lights.

Those clears are cool looking on your truck. I personally have the black tinted ones, I miss how much light you probably get out of your clear housing with a pair of bright white ultra star headlights. Its kinda dark over here at night!!!

Last edited: