Refurbishing Sketchy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what y'all are doing but I must have a double unicorn.... I replaced my box with a reman from oriellys about a year ago and have had NO issues with it... and... my truck still has all the original ball joints and tie rod ends... it's a 94 k150p with 180k on the clock....and have no issues or sketchy steering at all...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Your lucky, my boxes were from Oriellys

I just was researching replacing the lower ball joint, and my manual just says to take the whole control arm to a machine shop to press it out and the new one in.
Can I just rent a regular ball joint press and do that?

Yes either way.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I just was researching replacing the lower ball joint, and my manual just says to take the whole control arm to a machine shop to press it out and the new one in.
Can I just rent a regular ball joint press and do that?

If you pull the control arms, might as well replace the bushings while it's apart.
I like the urethane ones I put in my '98. Fairly reasonable $$$, last longer, less deflection.
Just use lots (lots & lots & lots!!!) of the specific lube they're supplied with.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you pull the control arms, might as well replace the bushings while it's apart.
I like the urethane ones I put in my '98. Fairly reasonable $$$, last longer, less deflection.
Just use lots (lots & lots & lots!!!) of the specific lube they're supplied with.
Yeah I'm planning on replacing them now with poly energy suspension ones. I just wanted to see if I could save a trip to the machine shop.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I bought a set of uppers & lower control arms from the wreckers for cheap. Had the bj's & the bushings pressed out, then the arms powder coated & back to to the machine shop so they could press in those bushings. They can be a bear to install without a decent sized press. When it came to installing the arms, all that work shortened the down-time along with the hoist time which I have to pay for. A simple re-&-re that was done in less than a couple of hours.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a set of uppers & lower control arms from the wreckers for cheap. Had the bj's & the bushings pressed out, then the arms powder coated & back to to the machine shop so they could press in those bushings. They can be a bear to install without a decent sized press. When it came to installing the arms, all that work shortened the down-time along with the hoist time which I have to pay for. A simple re-&-re that was done in less than a couple of hours.
Yeah having a machine shop do all that would be faster, but for me, down-time isn't an issue, cost is however.
When I lifted my truck I bought new uppers and lowers with bushing and b/j's from Rockauto. .. made the swap super easy....
Yeah I was looking at those, but I want to do polyurethane bushings and the cost is a little too much for me.
I have plenty of time to do all this, but not a whole lot of money.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
When I lifted my truck I bought new uppers and lowers with bushing and b/j's from Rockauto. .. made the swap super easy....
I'm about to order new steering parts and I'm seriously considering doing this. The price difference is insaen though

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm about to order new steering parts and I'm seriously considering doing this. The price difference is insaen though
That's where I'm at too.
I just can't justify the extra cost when I know I have the time to replace all that on my original control arms.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I Only did it this way because the gutters on my lowers were trimmed due to it being dropped on 15's.... with that 7.5" kit I had the lift springs were stiff as phuck, I just wanted new arms to be sure....