Rear End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what you use your truck for.

Lockers are a lot more aggressive for street driving and are alittle harder on tires and driveline parts.

LSD are more passive and drivable but never give full locking capability.

Auburn makes great stuff, so either is a good choice in my book.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Detroit Locker, Ive had it for 10yrs, works great!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
These can be found in '90's GM wagons. ('scuse the dog hair!)
They use the same 10b 8.5" center sections that come in our trucks. Only difference is that they use longer axles/tubes & mounts for the coil spring suspension.
They carriers are easily rebuilt, if needed.

You will need one of these.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performa...on-Kits-with-Timken-Bearings/1176762/10002/-1

You must be registered for see images attach

Look for this, then pop off the cover to be sure.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These can be found in '90's GM wagons. ('scuse the dog hair!)
They use the same 10b 8.5" center sections that come in our trucks. Only difference is that they use longer axles/tubes & mounts for the coil spring suspension.
They carriers are easily rebuilt, if needed.

You will need one of these.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performa...on-Kits-with-Timken-Bearings/1176762/10002/-1

Look for this, then pop off the cover to be sure.

What's the RPO code for that diff, never knew they existed in GM products. Interesting.....

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those are G80 as well. That is where some confusion comes in. Some guys will buy the positrac additive for the truck units not knowing that the trucks don't use a clutch set up like the cars do just because they have a G80.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2317217

I think he was asking what is the RPO code for the cars with posi.
I have no idea. This is the second one I have picked up. Never saw the vehicles that either came outa.
One was from a Chevelle, the other from a full-size wagon.
I've always just looked for the posi lube tag on the housing, as an elimination process. You can also verify that by turning the pinion or one wheel. If both wheels turn the same way, it's a posi. But, I always pop off the cover, just to be sure. Someone could of welded everything up inside for a poor man's posi, or the housing could be filled with sawdust. Don't laugh. I've seen both!

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How has the LSD worked compared to the g80 locker? I could be persuaded to get a LSD for my dd if it was cost efficient and effective. I have a built cherokee for the Times I need a real front and rear locker.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Well, that's the thing. G80's lock when you don't want them to, & don't when you do.
30mph into a tight right hander, up a hill, nail it & both tires are hooking. No one tire fire! Something the gov-lock would do.
The LSD is predictable, instead of the guessing game with the G80.