Rear Disc Brake Swap for 10" drum trucks for $160

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have NO idea what you mean by saying you don't need a park brake because "I lay my truck out. Lays body flat." Does that make sense to anyone else?

In a state that does safety inspections, there is no provision in the bylaws for "vehicle frame to ground contact parking mechanism". So it would be illegal in New Yuck State. Perhaps in O.P.s unnamed state there is no such inspection program. Therefore its " See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". Its sketchy, its "not as designed by the OEM", it's not my concern either that he did this mod 7 years ago.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still law in states that don't have safety inspections.

From Oklahoma Statute §47-12-301:
"Every motor vehicle and every combination of vehicles shall be equipped with a parking brake system adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated under all conditions of loading, on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material."

There's no description of what a parking brake system entails, and since laying frame is "adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated under all conditions of loading, on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material", it would suffice.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What happens if OPs "breaks" fail while he's rolling down the street at 45 mph? Tip: don't panic and throw the gear selector into P and still plow into a minivan stopped at a red light... ;)

Parking brake is still same as the E-brake, right? Or did I miss something?

Sorry, didn't read all of the details...

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ebrake is also very helpful when your shifter cable blows out and the tranny doesn't go all the way into park.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's still law in states that don't have safety inspections.

From Oklahoma Statute §47-12-301:
"Every motor vehicle and every combination of vehicles shall be equipped with a parking brake system adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated under all conditions of loading, on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material."

There's no description of what a parking brake system entails, and since laying frame is "adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated under all conditions of loading, on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material", it would suffice.

In order for a vehicle manufacturer to get certification for the sale of a vehicle, the vehicle is submitted to an inspection by NHTSA. They write the country's DOT laws.
It's stated in Federal DOT regulations as "a system originally equipped from the vehicle manufacturer". That's where the individual states get their basis for road laws & regulations.

I know we're just splitting hairs at the moment, but please show me where the OE lays the truck on the ground like a cat on the living room floor and such a system was approved?

Creative alterations notwithstanding, I'm still laughing at the idea...

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What happens if OPs "breaks" fail while he's rolling down the street at 45 mph? Tip: don't panic and throw the gear selector into P and still plow into a minivan stopped at a red light... ;)

Parking brake is still same as the E-brake, right? Or did I miss something?

Sorry, didn't read all of the details...

Wont stop you in an emergency, that's why they stopped calling an Emergency Brake. But I'd LOVE to see someone come sliding/grinding to a stop and get applauded by the police for their "ingenious solution"!