Rear Diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverfox

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys; I am saving up parts to do a Ls.6.0 with a 4l80e swap when I came across a rear diff. at my friends house. It started me thinking that with all these new power I am gonna have that maybe I should change my rear diff. Well I got the (new)diff for nothing ( good friends) so I will still have to do some work on it . It came from a 1966 chevy truck ( 6 lug) with new posi and 3.73 gears !! Well, I will need to change the axles to 5 lug( match the back)and since i have to open it up I might as well do the torino ends (no more c-clips) !! Now as it will have to be cut up abit I am thinking about taking a couple off inches of each side so I can really tuck them tires in the rear !! Oh yeah, I have a 94 GMC xten cab !!! I will be doing some more suspension upgrades ( 6 link with bags) down the road( probably next winter) as well as relocating a gas tank to behind the rear diff. too. My question is how much could I ( or should I)cut off each side so I don;t interfere with my suspension upgrade !! Thanks for any input as I have been looking for info on this site but unable to find anything about said subject !!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Im afraid there are going to be too many variables to that to get a straight answer of whats gonna work and what won't.