Rear Custom Bumper Search

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Europaman

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I am in search of a bumper like the one in the attached picture. It was taken from my truck and never recovered. I am in the process of reastoring Ol' Jim and I'd love to find a replacement like it or near to like it. The closest thing I have found so far is a Brute II but its way too elaborate with the springy hitch intergrated that requires ditching the spare tire.

I believe it was made by Weston but not certain. Any leads on one in the southeast new or used that could be serviceable would be great. It needs to be chrome or good enough to be chromed. Thanks all.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They were super common back in the day (I think most referred to them as a "cowboy bumper" for some reason?) - to me the chrome I saw on most was pretty inferior quality and many rusted out prematurely, which may be why you don't see a bunch around anymore.

This one was surface-rusted badly back when I put this truck on the road in '09; I steel-wooled the crap out of it and got it looking decent but not great. This was a SE TX truck where stuff really doesn't rust, ya know?

Richard

Europaman

Reaction score
They were super common back in the day (I think most referred to them as a "cowboy bumper" for some reason?) - to me the chrome I saw on most was pretty inferior quality and many rusted out prematurely, which may be why you don't see a bunch around anymore.

This one was surface-rusted badly back when I put this truck on the road in '09; I steel-wooled the crap out of it and got it looking decent but not great. This was a SE TX truck where stuff really doesn't rust, ya know?

Richard
Thanks Richard. That softens the blow a bit, in that mine had micro pits as well but not rust yet and would have had to be rechromed. I'd still like to find a chrome one that's more clever than OEM or the old old school 70s style step bumper. Thanks for the reply

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I am in search of a bumper like the one in the attached picture. It was taken from my truck and never recovered. I am in the process of reastoring Ol' Jim and I'd love to find a replacement like it or near to like it. The closest thing I have found so far is a Brute II but its way too elaborate with the springy hitch intergrated that requires ditching the spare tire.

I believe it was made by Weston but not certain. Any leads on one in the southeast new or used that could be serviceable would be great. It needs to be chrome or good enough to be chromed. Thanks all.

Keep looking you'll find one. There a ton of them installed on "Cowboy's" trucks back in the day. I had one on my 86 single cab dually. They were poorly chromed. I had to use an SOS pad and Turtle Wax once a month to keep it looking half decent.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes I also remember those. Got almost blinded by that chrome in the Texas sun lol. Not surprising that the shiny stuff wasn't a good quality. Nobody plates bumpers like the factory ones. Good luck with your hunting

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Another name for them are "drop-bumpers" or "V-drop bumpers." They are also called "Ag bumpers" if they had the built-in hitch.

DMI makes a drop bumper that was called the Quik-Cush, which included a built-in hitch that was attached where the spare tire was, and has springs. Mainly farmers used these for pulling gravity wagons and other items to reduce rocking back and forth. My grandpa has a DMI Quik-Cush on his 93 6.5, I always thought that bumper was kickass.

Though, just a regular drop bumper does not include that type of stuff. You could check out Brown's of Two Rivers, they might have drop bumpers that fit our trucks, expensive though, last time I seen they were around $500.

Edit: If you are looking for a square body style rear bumper, LMC has them: https://www.lmctruck.com/1988-98-ch...amond-tread-fleetside-replacement-rear-bumper

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Might want to have a look here for info:

http://www.truckoutfitters.com/accessories.cfm?cItem=04

My bumper had a MAAP sticker on it back in the day, truck came new from the dealer with that bumper on there, part of a Monroe Truck Equipment conversion package(RPO lists bumper delete). Seems to be stainless steel.

cam_2372_zpsryy1n7d6-jpg.194906

Only problem I have with this particular bumper is keeping the mirror like finish from getting beat up, always need to be careful backing up / hooking up trailers etc.

Stumbled upon these here, the look is similar:

Not sure they will handle chrome, but they seem to available at a reasonable price via ebay, maybe they are customizable when ordering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-...s-Logansmetal4x4-USA-/164119233274?nav=SEARCH

Guessing if mine got wrecked, I would probably go with a logansmetal as a replacement.

Best of luck.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one of the Logan’s metal fab bumpers on my z71.
I like it enough I’m going to get another for my K3500 crew too.

if you had a plater local the finish on those isn’t far off from being plate-able.