Rear Brake issues( Drums )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swims, yours got shipped today should arrive Thursday.

And at this point in time i do not have another but i can try to get one from the jy on my next trip.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swims.. any word on that prop valve? I got one coming in the mail too. lol Just curious if it fixed your problem.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wished I could have got to you sooner.

prop. valve didn't help me.

I changed the rear hose and it fixed mine.

I put on the prop valve, seemed about the same, found my fitting had a nick in it letting fluid come down the threads, still nothing or not much, changed that rear hose and fixed it.

You may just need to hold your valve open, which apperatnly is in the IN position to be open. The new valve I got has double needles, my old one only had a front one.

I used a clamp and then this tool we have to put on trans lines when you remove them to keep fluid from running out, like a c-clamp both held my valve shut. it didn't work though when I tried it, since I had other problems.

Paul told me since everything else was changed on mine to try the rear hose and if not replace the MC again with another new one. I figured eh what the heck everything else is new, bought the line, bled myself had not much better feel, ran the truck back and forth and it stopped good, about halfway down on the pedal the brakes came on and came on hard, pedal felt like it still traveled.

I put down my e-brake and with the engine off my pedal would only travel like 1/2 inch to 1 inch and that's it, but with my park brake off it'd go down about halfway. So that told me the rear shoes needed adjusted out. That it why i ran it some in front of the house, stomping the brakes going forwards and back, checked the pedal this morning, truck off, travels about an inch if that before it gets firm. So they adjusted out good.

so in closing, they aint a rock hard pedal from the start as I had hoped, and actually about the same as when I had the dump valve, maybe a bit better, this is all pedal feel, brake feel seems much stronger and better then with RWAL. I can live with it, at least I have brakes and we drove for a few years with the dump valve on it and it mushy.

I have not had it on the road yet, I just ran back and forth out front, flooring it to get some speed then stomp it to make sure nothing was gonna leak or blow, and in reverse to adjust my shoes out. I hope to have it down the road one day this week.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That hose on mine on the back is brand new.. has been.. lol. sucks man.. I adjusted my shoes out too about a week ago. guess I need to replace EVERYTHING and then I know I shouldn't have any problems lol. I will keep ya informed on what happens with my truck once I get that prop valve. thanks for the info.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New prop didnt work. I was going to try and hold in those little pins that push out from the prop, but I do not have a c clamp that goes big enough. I am still getting fluid to the rear of the truck, but there is no pressure back there. Pedal still doesn't go down when you let loose the bleeder screw.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There has to be a leak in the rear somewhere, I know you have just change everything but I have bought faulty part's many times.