Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
Rotella T4 15-40 "Diesel" oil is actually rated for both gasoline and diesel engines... so again, you are kindof shooting yourself in the foot with the generalizations.
Not really. Anyone can cherry pick some, single example to show me "how wrong I am!". But my feet are both fine. My "generallizations" are generally true. It's good for the people who don't know, to know. For the rest? If you dig 30wt in your oil-hole? Use the wee out of it. :waytogo:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Willy G has his head firmly up his a$$ on this. The so called 20w-50 "motorcycle" oil has friction modifiers in it for use in the primary which makes it unsuitable for the engine. It's too heavy for the primary which is why your transmission clunks so hard going into gear from neutral. It's too light for the tranny which is why your tranny clunks so hard when shifting gears.
Sounds like a great recipe for making HD's more approachable for the no-maintenance crowd, while in turn developing more service revenue at the dealership.. because who else is gonna work on it? The trusted HD dealer, of course!

This thread sucks
When new guy OP came in here spitting what he thought was hot fire only to immediately start taking on an insurmountable of return fire.. and beat a hasty retreat.. what else can we do but laugh the smoking mess into oblivion?

Richard

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really. Anyone can cherry pick some, single example to show me "how wrong I am!". But my feet are both fine. My "generallizations" are generally true. It's good for the people who don't know, to know. For the rest? If you dig 30wt in your oil-hole? Use the wee out of it. :waytogo:
It's not cherry picked, it's literally the oil mentioned in the very first post of this thread that the OP was bitching about people using in their gas engines. You came into the thread saying the reason to not use it is because Diesel oil doesn't have the right additive package. The specific diesel oil he was griping about people using, is in fact rated for gasoline engine. It isn't the only one. Your generalization may be true in some cases(I'm sure not ALL diesel oils are rated for gasoline engines), but in the context of this thread, it doesn't apply.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of my grandfather's disgust with honey, who referred to it as "bee sh*t". Would also eat sticks of Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Meemaw would get so p*ssed when she was planning to bake something only to find a chomp taking out of one of the sticks.
I think I would like your grandaddy. Cream cheese on club crackers is the $hit.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please keep your responses on topic, we are currently talking about powdered versions of products usually associated with liquid. :p

I think @Scooterwrench mentioned it earlier, about motorcycles using engine oil in transmissions, maybe the same thought process in the Allison. As it is specd’ in the manual, I run 20-w50 (?) in all three holes on my Harley. Same synthetic fluid.

Anyone have first hand experience with powdered wood (saw dust) in a transmission?
On bikes ya gotta be careful about anti-friction additives. Sportbikes use engine oil for the clutch packs, you don't want that anti-slip stuff there.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That old ironhead sporty would like some 20w-50 in it. Normal cylinder head temp for an ironhead engine is 600deg.,the lighter oil will help pull heat from the heads. Do you run a oil cooler? The 30w non-detergent works good in the primary and tranny on those unitized motors. BTW Valvoline is the only 30w non-det. worth buying these days. NAPA 30w non-det. is Valvoline AKA Ashland Oil Co.

Years ago I had Frank Romero of Crazy Horse Speed shop in FL build my heads for that bike before he went out of business. And I spent a bunch of time on the phone with him absorbing as much as I could about these old IH's and he said straight 50w or even 60w is best because they rely on oil flow instead of pressure and if the oil is too light it'll run away too fast and starve itself.

When its warmed up it barely registers anything on the 0-30psi rocker gauge. I do have a small oil cooler but temps still are high enough to make modern engineers sweat bullets.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cayenne in coffee????
Yep, I do cream, cinnamon and cayenne in the coffee... straight black eats a hole in my gut. The cayenne and cinnamon start off floating but eventually sink so each cup gets spicier and spicier as it goes down... yummy. Don't know about health benefits, but they certainly can't hurt, except for the residue getting in my eyes of course.