real stiff ride, rear end air ride options, ideas? HELLLLPPPPP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, my names shaun and i'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas or suggestions on how to smooth out the ride on a 1990 short bed regular cab with a Belltech 4"/6" drop? its ridiculous how stiff the rear end is on it. even before it was lowered it was real stiff. just seems a little rougher since. i was thinking of an air ride assist system. Any ideas of what brand / kit is good to go with? Also, I saw something about these bed liners / mats that you fill with water and can add up to 300 lbs to the rear end for better traction and to smooth the ride up. anybody else own one of these, or heard about it and have some info on it? any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Shaun

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, today i called the "custom truck" shop where i had it lowered today, and they said the only way to achieve what i'm after is to completely do away with the leaf springs and put an air bag setup. Some how i feel like he's BSing me. Somebody HELP!!!

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
those are pretty stiff shocks. I changed from Nitro Slammer to rear shocks for a 67 impala (monroe brand). they are six inches shorter than our stock shocks... and ride smooth. KYB Gas Adjust is very popular also.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I also noticed that you said it rode stiff even before it was lowered which I presume was with different shock's than the ones you have now, how many leaf spring's do you have in your leaf pack's, and did the shop prelaod the leaf spring bushing's before they tightened down the spring eye bolt's?

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
I also noticed that you said it rode stiff even before it was lowered which I presume was with different shock's than the ones you have now, how many leaf spring's do you have in your leaf pack's, and did the shop prelaod the leaf spring bushing's before they tightened down the spring eye bolt's?

good point phillip..forgot about that. maybe the previous owner pulled/hauled with it and added/changed the springs... ya never know. we've ran into that on here.. i can think of two examples but can't recall the user names.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The springs have 3 full leafs, and a partial leaf. Not sure if they switched out the old ones when it was dropped. Had it done like 3 years ago. I tried to get a couple pictures so you can see what i got going on

Attachments

• IMG317.jpg
    IMG317.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG314.jpg
    IMG314.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG315.jpg
    IMG315.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG316.jpg
    IMG316.jpg